Born On This Day:
- Emperor Leopold I, 1640
- Czar Peter the Great, 1672
- Cole Porter, 1891
- S .N. Behrman, 1893
- Fred Waring, 1900
- Patrick Steptoe, 1913
- Robert McNamara, 1916
- George Axelrod, 1922
- Les Paul, 1923
- Marvin Kalb, 1930
- Jackie Mason, 1931
- Dick Orkin, 1933
- Jackie Wilson, 1934
- Patricia Cornwell, 1956
- Keenan Ivory Wayans, 1958
- Michael J. Fox, 1961
- Johnny Depp, 1963
- Natalie Portman, 1981
Died On This Day:
- Emperor Nero suicide, AD 68
- William Lilly, 1681
- Philip I France, 1701
- Charles Dickens, 1870
- Carrie Nation, 1911
- Ugo Betti, 1953
- Robert Donat, 1958
- Lord Beaverbrook, 1964
- Primo Carnera, 1967
- Katharine Cornell, 1974
- Dame Sybil Thorndyke, 1976
- Alexis Smith, 1993
- George Segal, 2000
- Adam West, 2017
- 1534 - Jacques Cartier becomes first European explorer to discover St. Lawrence River.
- 1549 - Book of Common Prayer issued to all dioceses in the Church of England.
- 1789 - Captain Bligh and castaways from the mutiny on the not-so-good ship Bounty reach Timor.
- 1790 - America's first book is copyrighted-The Philadelphia Spelling Book.
- 1800 - French defeat Austrians at the Battle of Montebello Casteggio.
- 1815 - Congress of Vienna settles map of Europe; Netherlands formed, Switzerland neutral.
- 1899 - New world heavyweight champ James Jeffries decks Bob Fitzsimmons in 11th at Coney Island.
- 1904 - First concert of the London Symphony Orchestra.
- 1931 - Submarine Poseidon sunk.
- 1933 - Primo Carnera becomes World Heavyweight boxing Champ; KO's Jack Sharkey in 6 at N.Y.
- 1963 - 'Cleopatra' starring Elizabeth Taylor opens in New York; film cost $40 million.
- 1993 - Royal wedding at Imperial Palace, Japan; Crown Prince Naruhito marries commoner Masako Owada.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Pelagia of Antioch
- Columba or Colmcille (died today A.D. 597)
- Primus and Felician
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...