Born On This Day:
- Amerigo Vespucci, 1451
- Leland Stanford, 1824
- Eddie Foy, 1856
- Ernest Bevin, 1881
- V. Molotov, 1890
- Arthur Caesar, 1892
- Victoria Sackville-West, 1892
- Edward Durell Stone, 1902
- Will Geer, 1902
- Samuel Barber, 1910
- Mickey Spillane, 1918
- George Lincoln Rockwell, 1918
- Courreges, 1923
- Herbert Gold, 1924
- Keely Smith, 1932
- Yuri Gagarin, 1934
- Joyce Van Patton, 1934
- Marty Ingels, 1936
- Mickey Gilley, 1937
- Raul Julia, 1940
- Bobby Fischer, 1943
- Trish Van Devere, 1943
- Bobby Sands, 1954
- Kato Kaelin, 1959
- Brian Bosworth, 1965
- Emmanuel Lewis, 1971
- Lil' Bow Wow (Shad Gregory Moss), 1987
Died On This Day:
- Richard Burbage, 1619
- Arnold Toynbee, 1883
- Franz Wedekind, 1918
- Faye Emerson , 1983
- Robert Mapplethorpe AIDS, 1989
- Menachem Begin, 1992
- C. Northcote Parkinson, 1993
- Fernando Rey, 1994
- George Burns, 1996
- 141 BC - Emperor Wu of Han becomes leader of the Han Dynasty of China.
- 1796 - Napoleon Bonaparte weds Josephine de Beauharnais of Martinique, 33, widow of a republican general.
- 1831 - French Foreign Legion founded in Algeria.
- 1847 - First amphibious assult in US History launched in Veracruz in the Mexican-American War
- 1862 - Battle of the Union ship Monitor (victor) and Confederate vessel Merrimac in U.S. Civil War.
- 1888 - Frederick III accedes to the throne of Germany.
- 1916 - Mexican bandit Pancho Villa leads 1,500 men in attack against Columbus New Mexico.
- 1933 - President Franklin D. Roosevelt submits the first of his New Deal policies to Congress - the Emergency Banking Act.
- 1945 - Allied forces bomb Tokyo; 130,000 dead.
- 1956 - British government deports Archbishop Makarios from Cyprus to the Seychelles for terrorism.
- 1958 - Yemen and the United Arab Republic become the United Arab States.
- 1959 - The Barbie Doll, Mattel Toys huge success, first goes on sale.
- 1961 - Russian dog Blackie becomes the first animal to return from space in Sputnick 9.
- 1990 - Antonia Novello becomes first woman doctor to serve as U.S. Surgeon General.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Dominic Savio
- Frances of Rome
- Gregory of Nyssa
- Katherine of Bologna
- Baron Bliss Day celebrated in Belize
- SHROVE TUESDAY. Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fastnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S. & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring), celebrated early March
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- LAILAT AL-QADR, I'D AL-FITR & IDU'L FITAR, Muslim Festivals
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches
- CHING MING FESTIVAL & QING MING (Singapore), All Souls Day in Far East
- NOTE; EASTER is also called Ostern in Germany and Switzerland, Pasqua in Italy, Pascua Florida or Domingo de Gloria in Spain, Pâques in France, Velykos in Lithuania, Wielkanoc in Polish, Pasha in Greece, Påske in Norway, Påskdagen in Sweden, Zadig in Armenia, Paschen in The Netherlands, Paschoa in Portugal,
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- RAMA-NAVAMI, Hindu Festival of Rama, celebrated at the end of March
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- COMMONWEALTH DAY in Britain Second Monday in March
- MOTHERING SUNDAY - fourth Sunday of Lent celebrated in England
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...