Born On This Day:
- King Richard I (Lionheart), 1157
- Wilhelm von Schlegel, 1767
- Joaquin Miller, 1837
- Antonin Dvorak, 1841
- Robert A. Taft, 1889
- Howard Dietz, 1896
- Jimmy Rodgers, 1897
- Claude Pepper, 1900
- Harry Secombe, 1921
- Sid Caesar, 1922
- Lyndon LaRouche, 1922
- Grace Metalious, 1924
- Denise Darcel, 1925
- Peter Sellers, 1925
- Jack Rosenthal, 1931
- Patsy Cline, 1932
- Michael Frayn, 1933
- Sam Nunn, 1938
- Heather Thomas, 1957
Died On This Day:
- Saint Sergius I, AD 701
- Thomas of Woodstock duke of Gloucester, 1397
- King Faisal Iraq, 1933
- Richard Strauss, 1949
- Dorothy Dandridge OD , 1965
- Budd Collyer, 1969
- Budd , 1969
- Zero Mostel, 1977
- Roy Wilkins, 1981
- Leni Riefenstahl, 2003
- 1522 - Spanish navigator Juan de Elcano returns to Spain after Magellan's first circumnavigation of globe.
- 1565 - First permanent white colony in U.S. founded at St. Augustine, FL by Spanish under Menéndez.
- 1565 - Great siege of Malta ends; Maltese and Knights of St. John finally beat Turks who attacked in May.
- 1760 - Montreal capitulates to the British. (French & Indian War)
- 1882 - The Pledge of Allegiance first published in a magazine 'Youth's Companion.'
- 1886 - City of Johannesburg founded.
- 1900 - 6,000 Texans killed in Galveston hurricane/tidal wave-American's worst natural disaster.
- 1910 - World's first mid-air collision in Austria. The pilots were brothers.
- 1935 - Frank Sinatra, 19, launches singing career with Hoboken Four on Major Bowes Amateur Hour radio.
- 1940 - Marcel Ravidat discovers entrance to Lascaux cave in Montignac, France. Paintings revealed 9/12.
- 1966 - 'Star Trek' starring William Shatner premieres on NBC-TV to low ratings and little interest.
- 1971 - Prison revolt begins at Attica Prison, New York.
- 1974 - Richard Nixon given Presidential pardon by Gerald Ford.
- 1998 - Cincy Cardinal Mark McGwire hits 62nd homer in one season beating Roger Maris's 1961 record.
- 2004 - Category 5 140mph Hurricane Ivan devastates Grenanda; most powerful in a decade; 12 dead 90% of homes in ruins.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Birthday of Holy Virgin celebrated in both Latin and Greek Churches
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...