Born On This Day:
- Frank Lloyd Wright, 1867
- Francis Crick, 1916
- Robert Preston, 1918
- Alexis Smith, 1921
- President Suharto, 1921
- George Kirby, 1923
- Barbara Bush, 1925
- Leroy Neiman, 1926
- Jerry Stiller, 1929
- Dana Wynter, 1932
- Joan Rivers, 1933
- William Rukeyser, 1939
- Nancy Sinatra, 1940
- Andrew Weil, 1942
- Boz Scaggs, 1944
- Bonnie Tyler, 1953
- Griffin Dunne, 1955
- Kanye West, 1977
- Kim Clijsters, 1983
Died On This Day:
- Prophet Muhammad, AD 632
- Hardicanute, 1042
- Edward the Black Prince, 1376
- Philippe I, Duke of Orleans, 1701
- Louis XVII Dauphin of France, 1795
- Thomas Paine, 1809
- Sarah Siddons, 1831
- Andrew Jackson, 1845
- Douglas Jerrold, 1857
- George Sand, 1876
- Dan Duryea, 1968
- Robert Taylor, 1969
- E. M. Forster, 1970
- Satchel Paige, 1982
- Claudio Arrau, 1991
- Jack Kroll, 2000
- Anthony Bourdain, 2018
- 1709 - First paper currency in America issued in New York City.
- 1783 - Eruption of the Laki volcano begins in Iceland; 8 month eruption eventually kills 10,000.
- 1786 - Ice cream first advertised for sale by Mr. Hall of New York City.
- 1789 - James Madison first proposes Bill of Rights.
- 1861 - Tennessee secedes from Union becoming eleventh and last State to do so.
- 1869 - Suction-type vacuum cleaner patented by I.W. McGaffrey of Chicago.
- 1912 - Universal Studios founded by Carl Laemmle.
- 1939 - King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, first British royals to visit U.S., arrive in Washington D.C.
- 1940 - The element Neptunium discovered by Edwin McMillan and Philip Abelson at the Berkeley (CA) Radiation Laboratory.
- 1946 - Victory Day celebration in Britain.
- 1948 - Mr. Television is born: Milton Berle's Texaco Star Theatre has NBC television premiere.
- 1965 - Congress allows U.S. troops to engage in offensive maneuvers in Vietnam.
- 2004 - 209 years after death of 10 year-old Louis XVII, his heart is buried next to parents Louis XVII and Marie-Antoinette.
- 2014 - Audra McDonald wins sixth Tony Award for acting, the most ever Tony wins by an actor.
Feast Day of Saint:
- William of York
- Melania the Elder
- Saint Callipoa
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...