Born On This Day:
- Horace, 65 BC
- Mary Queen of Scots, 1542
- Queen Christina Sweden, 1626
- Eli Whitney, 1765
- Joel Chandler Harris, 1848
- William Crapo 'Billy' Durant, 1861
- Georges Feydeau, 1862
- Jean Sibelius, 1865
- George Norman Douglas, 1868
- Diego Rivera, 1886
- James Thurber, 1894
- George Stevens, 1904
- Lucian Freud, 1922
- Sammy Davis Jr., 1925
- Maximilian Schell, 1930
- Flip Wilson, 1933
- David Carradine, 1936
- James MacArthur, 1937
- James Galway, 1939
- Jim Morrison, 1943
- John Rubenstein, 1946
- Gregg Allman, 1947
- Kim Basinger, 1953
- Teri Hatcher, 1964
- Sinead O'Connor, 1967
Died On This Day:
- Thomas de Quincey, 1859
- Herbert Spencer, 1903
- King Oscar II Sweden, 1907
- Golda Meir, 1978
- John Lennon assassinated, 1980
- Marty Robbins, 1982
- Slim Pickens, 1983
- Luther Adler, 1984
- Martin Ritt, 1990
- William Shawn, 1992
- Dr. Ernest Boyer, 1995
- John Glenn, 2016
- 1660 - First time woman allowed to play Shakespeare: Mrs. Norris debuts as Desdemona in 'Othello.'
- 1792 - Henry Laurens of Charleston, S.C. dies and becomes first person in U.S. to be cremated.
- 1862 - First postage stamp issued in Hong Kong.
- 1863 - Abraham Lincoln issues Proclamation of Amnesty and Reconstruction after Civil War ends.
- 1886 - AFof L, the American Federation of Labor, adopts name at Columbus, Ohio.
- 1907 - On death of Oscar II, Gustavus V ascends throne of Sweden.
- 1914 - Irving Berlin's first musical, 'Watch Your Step,' opened on Broadway.
- 1914 - Naval Battle of the Falkland Islands; British fleet destroy several German ships.
- 1931 - Coaxial cable patented by inventors Lloyd Espenschied and Herman Affel of NY and NJ.
- 1941 - The day after Pearl Harbor with 2,400 dead Americans, U.S. declares war on Japan.
- 1943 - John Van Druten's 'Voice of the Turtle' starts 1,557 performance run in N.Y.
- 1980 - Autograph hunter Mark David Chapman shoots John Lennon outside Dakota apartment, New York City.
- 1991 - Death of the Soviet Union; Russia, Ukraine & Byelorussia announce Commonwealth (CIS) at Brest.
- 1992 - NASA takes first photo of four mile long speeding asteroid 'Toutatis' only 2.2 million miles from Earth.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Festival of the Immaculate Conception in Italy
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...