Born On This Day:
- Queen Elizabeth I, 1533
- Francois-Andre Danican Philidor, 1726
- Thomas Coutts, 1735
- Samuel Wilberforce, 1805
- Grandma Moses, 1860
- J. Pierpont Morgan, 1867
- Edith Sitwell, 1887
- WNP Barbellion (Bruce Frederick Cummings) , 1889
- Taylor Caldwell, 1900
- Michael DeBakey, 1908
- Elia Kazan, 1909
- Anthony Quayle, 1913
- Peter Lawford, 1923
- Daniel Inouye, 1924
- Laura Ashley, 1925
- King Baudouin of the Belgians, 1930
- Sir Malcolm Bradbury, 1932
- Buddy Holly, 1936
- Richard Roundtree, 1942
- Susan Blakely, 1948
- Corbin Bernsen, 1948
- Gloria Gaynor, 1949
- Chrissie Hynde, 1951
- Julie Kavner, 1951
- Michael Feinstein, 1956
Died On This Day:
- Saint Isaac the Great, AD 439
- King Ferdinand IV Castile/Leon, 1312
- Frederick IV King of German, 1493
- King Ferdinand II Naples, 1496
- Catherine Parr, 1548
- John Greenleaf Whittier, 1892
- Isak Dinesen, 1962
- Bishop James Pike, 1969
- Everett Dirksen, 1969
- Spring Byington, 1971
- Keith Moon, 1978
- Christy Brown, 1981
- Mobutu Sese Seko, 1997
- Warren Zevon, 2003
- Dorothy McGuire, 2012
- 1298 - Venetians defeated by Genoiese at the naval Battle of Curzola.
- 1664 - Dutch surrender New Amsterdam to English naval force; name of colony changed to New York.
- 1812 - Napoleon battles Russians in Battle of Borodino.
- 1813 - Troy, New York newspaper first refers to the United States as 'Uncle Sam.'
- 1876 - Jesse & Frank James escape; others in gang killed or captured in bungled Minnesota bank robbery.
- 1892 - Gentleman Jim Corbett beats John L. Sullivan in first gloved boxing match at New Orleans.
- 1901 - Official end of Boxer Rebellion with Peace of Peking. China pays indemnity money.
- 1921 - First Miss America crowned in Atlantic City - Margaret Gorman, 16, of Washington D.C.
- 1936 - Boulder Dam (now Hoover) begins operations.
- 1940 - Germany begins bombing blitz on England; to continue for 85 consecutive nights.
- 1993 - In one of baseball's greatest offensive games, Mark Whiten of St. Louis hits 4 homeruns & 12 RBI's
Feast Day of Saint:
- Alcmund and Tilbert
- John of Nicomedia
- Regina or Reine of Alise
- Anastasius the Fuller
- Independence Day Brazil (1822)
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...