Born On This Day:
- Beau Brummel, 1778
- Paul Gauguin, 1848
- Imre Nagy, 1896
- George Szell, 1897
- Elizabeth Bowen, 1899
- Jessica Tandy, 1909
- Tom Jones, 1940
- Muammar Gaddafi, 1942
- Prince (Prince Rogers Nelson), 1958
- Roberto Alagna, 1963
- Anna Kournikova, 1981
Died On This Day:
- Robert the Bruce King of Scotland, 1329
- John Aubrey, 1697
- Friedrich William III Prussia, 1840
- Edwin Booth, 1893
- Jean Harlow, 1937
- Alan Turing suicide, 1954
- Judy Holliday, 1965
- Dorothy Parker, 1967
- Max Factor Jr., 1996
- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, 2006
- Christopher Lee, 2015
- 1099 - First Christian Crusaders arrive at Jerusalem, lay siege slaughtering 70,000 inc. women & children.
- 1494 - Treaty of Tordesillas gives Portugal lands east and Spain lands west of demarcation line.
- 1520 - Henry VIII and French King Francis I swear allegiance in 'The Field of the Cloth of Gold' with jousting tournaments.
- 1712 - Pennsylvania representative assembly bans the importation of slaves into the Colony.
- 1769 - Daniel Boone begins exploring American frontier in what is now Kentucky.
- 1776 - U.S. Congress passes Richard Henry Lee's resolution calling for independence from England.
- 1905 - Norway declares union with Sweden dissolved.
- 1906 - Lusitania launched.
- 1913 - Mount McKinley in Alaska, highest mountain in North America, conquered by Rev. Hudson Stuck.
- 1929 - Sovereign state of Vatican City came into existence with Lateran Treaty of Rome.
- 1935 - Stanley Baldwin appointed Prime Minister of Britain.
- 1942 - Battle of Midway ends with American victory over the Japanese.
- 1948 - Communist takeover of Czechoslovakia.
- 2004 - The next transit of Venus over the sun.
- 2009 - Roger Federer wins French Open becoming the greatest tennis player in history with 14 grand-slam titles on all four playing surfaces.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Robert of Newminster
- Colman of Dromore
- Anthony Mary Gianelli
- Day of the Prophet Mohammed founder of Islam
- National Day in Chad
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...