Born On This Day:
- Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini, 1598
- Willa Cather, 1873
- Rudolf Friml, 1879
- Heywood C. Broun, 1888
- Fay Bainter, 1892
- Rod Cameron, 1912
- Eli Wallach, 1915
- Ted Knight, 1923
- Victor Kiam, 1926
- Ellen Burstyn, 1932
- John Kennedy Toole, 1937
- Harry Chapin, 1942
- Johnny Bench, 1947
- Tom Waits, 1950
- Larry Bird, 1956
Died On This Day:
- Cicero assassinated, 43 BC
- Emperor Otto II, AD 983
- Pope Innocent IV, 1254
- Madame du Barry, 1793
- Captain William Bligh, 1817
- Thomas Nast, 1902
- Montgomery Ward, 1913
- Laurette Taylor, 1946
- Kirsten Flagstad, 1962
- Rube Goldberg, 1970
- Thornton Wilder, 1975
- Peter Carl Goldmark, 1977
- Robert Graves, 1985
- Joan Bennett, 1990
- Greg Lake, 2016
- 1431 - Henry VI of England was crowned King of France in Paris.
- 1663 - Huge storm floods London, "last night...all Whitehall having been drowned," Samuel Pepys writes in his Diary.
- 1732 - Congreve's "The Way of the World" opens at new Theatre Royal, Covent Garden, London.
- 1787 - Delaware admitted to Union; becomes first state to ratify Constitution.
- 1842 - New York Philharmonic Orchestra gives first concert in New York City.
- 1889 - 'The Gondoliers' by Gilbert and Sullivan opens to rave reviews at the Savoy Theatre in London.
- 1913 - New York Times publishes the first 12 page advertising supplement - for Gimbel's Department Store.
- 1917 - U.S. declares war on Austria/Hungary. WWI.
- 1926 - Gas refrigerator patented by Baltzer Carl von Platen and Georg Munters of Sweden.
- 1931 - The last Model A Ford, number 4,320,446, was built on this day.
- 1941 - Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, Hawaii at dawn; 350 planes destroy 21 U.S. ships and 328 aircraft.
- 1963 - First television Instant action replay broadcast during Army-Navy football game.
- 1988 - Devastating earthquake near Leninakan in Soviet Armenia; 6.9 on Richter scale blast kills 60,000.
- 2010 - Shakespeare's First Folio sold by Sothebys London for £2,360.564, about twice its estimate.
- 2010 - World record price paid for a book: Sotheby's London sells John James Audubon's "Birds of America" for £7,321,250.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Ambrose of Milan
- Buithe or Boethius
- Martin of Saujon
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...