Born On This Day:
- Niels Bohr, 1885
- Heinrich Himmler, 1900
- Andy Devine, 1905
- Sarah Churchill, 1914
- Alfred Drake, 1914
- June Allyson, 1923
- R. D. Laing, 1927
- Al Martino, 1927
- Rev. Desmond Tutu, 1931
- Leroi Jones (Imamu Baraka), 1934
- Thomas Keneally, 1935
- Clive James, 1939
- Oliver North, 1943
- Kevin Godley, 1945
- John Cougar Mellencamp, 1951
- Vladimir Putin, 1952
- Yo-Yo Ma, 1955
- Simon Cowell, 1959
- Toni Braxton, 1967
Died On This Day:
- Saint/Pope Marcus, AD 336
- Edgar Allan Poe, 1849
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1894
- Marie Lloyd, 1922
- Christy Mathewson, 1925
- Radclyffe Hall, 1943
- Clarence Birdseye, 1956
- Mario Lanza, 1959
- Billy Daniels, 1988
- Leo Durocher, 1991
- Agnes de Mille, 1993
- Herblock (Herbert Block) , 2001
- 1571 - Battle of Lepanto. Don John of Austria victorious over Turks on Greek coast; Cervantes wounded
- 1777 - Battle of Saratoga begins; British defeated, surrender to Gen. Horatio Gates.
- 1805 - Lewis and Clark expedition reaches mouth of the Columbia River in what is now Oregon.
- 1870 - Leon Gambetta escapes by balloon from besieged Paris to continue war with Prussia.
- 1944 - Crematorium IV blown up by Jewish rebels at Auschwitz; 600 of the Sonderkommandos were rounded up and shot.
- 1949 - German Democratic Republic founded.
- 1950 - U.S. troops invade North Korea across 38th parallel under Gen. Douglas MacArthur. Korean War.
- 1955 - Allen Ginsberg, Kenneth Rexroth and 4 other poets meet in SF garage; beat generation is born.
- 1959 - Far side of the moon photographed for the first time by Russian spacecraft Lunik III.
- 1975 - U.S. Military academies go coed.
- 1985 - Cruise ship Achille Lauro hijacked by terrorists who murder tourist Leon Klinghoffer.
- 1993 - Toni Morrison becomes first Black woman to receive Nobel Prize for literature.
- 2001 - Barry Bonds hits 73rd home run of the season beating Mark McGwire's 4 year old record of 70.
- 2001 - 16:25GMT - US and British forces begin attack on Afghanistan in retaliation for terrorist atrocities.
- 2003 - California election recalls Governor Gray Davis and elects Arnold Schwartzennegger.
Feast Day of Saint:
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...