Born On This Day:
- Thomas of Woodstock duke of Gloucester, 1355
- Pope Gregory XIII, 1502
- Jacques Étienne Montgolfier, 1745
- Millard Fillmore, 1800
- Adolph Zukor, 1873
- Charles Addams, 1912
- Jean-Pierre Rampal, 1922
- Vincent Gardenia, 1922
- Alvin Dark, 1922
- Gerald Durrell, 1925
- William Peter Blatty, 1928
- Jann Wenner, 1947
- Kenny Loggins, 1948
- Katie Couric, 1957
- Nicholas Cage, 1964
- Lewis Hamilton, 1985
Died On This Day:
- Catherine of Aragon, 1536
- Pope Innocent X, 1655
- Jim Fisk, 1872
- Nikola Tesla, 1943
- John Berryman suicide, 1972
- Henry Miller, 1980
- Trevor Howard, 1988
- Emperor Hirohito, 1989
- Bronko Nagurski, 1990
- Rod Taylor, 2015
- 1451 - Glasgow University founded.
- 1558 - Calais captured by the French under the Duke de Guise from Britain.
- 1610 - Four major moons of Jupiter - Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, discovered by Galileo with telescope.
- 1618 - Francis Bacon becomes Lord Chancellor of England.
- 1785 - First hot air balloon crossing of English Channel by Jean-Pierre Blanchard & John Jeffries of Boston.
- 1789 - First American national election; George Washington elected President, John Adams Vice.
- 1830 - First railroad passenger ticket sold for ride on Baltimore and Ohio in Baltimore.
- 1927 - First commercial short wave transatlantic phone service; London editor calls NY correspondent.
- 1927 - Harlem Globetrotters, clown princes of basketball, play first exhibition game in Hinckley, IL.
- 1929 - Comic strips 'Buck Rogers' and 'Tarzan' debut.
- 1934 - Comic strip 'Flash Gordon' first published.
- 1953 - President Harry S. Truman announces development of hydrogen bomb in State of Union speech.
- 1955 - Marian Anderson becomes first Black to sing at Met; debuts in Verdi's 'Un Ballo in Maschera.'
- 1973 - World record auction price for car; Earl Clark purchases Mercedes owned by Hitler for $153,000.
- 1979 - Pol Pot's government in Cambodia overthrown.
- 2015 - Slaughter in Paris: Islamic terrorists kill 12 at satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in the name of Islam + another four die in Paris kosher supermarket.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Canute Lavard
- Lucian of Antioch
- Charles of Sezze
- Christmas Day ( Russian Orthodox Churches - on Julian Calendar date)
- Day of Numa Wizard King of Rome
- Nanakusa or 7 Plant Day in Japan
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...