Born On This Day:
- King John III Portugal, 1502
- Diego Velasquez, 1599
- Pierre Corneille, 1606
- Nathan Hale, 1755
- Alexandr Pushkin, 1799
- Claude S.G. Montefiore, 1858
- W. R. Inge, 1860
- Thomas Mann, 1875
- R. C. Sherriff, 1896
- President Sukarno, 1901
- Aram Khachaturian, 1903
- Kirk Kerkorian, 1917
- George Deukmejian, 1928
- Billy Whitelaw, 1932
- The 14th Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso), 1935
- David Blunkett, 1947
- Harvey Fierstein, 1954
- Dana Carvey, 1955
- Sandra Bernhard, 1955
- Bjorn Borg, 1956
Died On This Day:
- Marcus Licinius Crassus, 53 BC
- King John III Portugal, 1557
- Patrick Henry, 1799
- Camillo Benso, conte di Cavour, 1861
- Lillian Russell, 1922
- Louis Chevrolet, 1941
- James Agate, 1947
- Louis Lumiere, 1948
- Carl Gustav Jung, 1961
- Robert F. Kennedy assassinated, 1968
- J. Paul Getty, 1976
- Jack Haley Sr., 1979
- Kenneth Rexroth, 1982
- Larry Kert AIDS, 1991
- Stan Getz, 1991
- Anne Bancroft, 2005
- Billy Preston, 2006
- Esther Williams, 2013
- Tom Sharpe, 2013
- Peter Shaffer, 2016
- Viktor Korchnoi, 2016
- Peter Shaffer, 2016
- 1520 - Henry VIII and Francis I confer at Field of the Cloth of Gold near Calais.
- 1523 - Gustavus Vasa ascends throne of Sweden.
- 1683 - Elias Ashmole opens the first public museum in Oxford, England - The Ashmolean.
- 1716 - First black slaves arrive in French Louisiana imported by French adventurers two years before New Orleans founded.
- 1816 - Ten inch snowstorm hits New England beginning 'Year of No Summer.'
- 1833 - Andrew Jackson becomes first U.S. President to ride in a railroad train-to Baltimore.
- 1844 - YMCA (Young Men's Christian Organization) founded in London.
- 1882 - NY inventor Henry W. Weely receives first U.S. patent for an electric iron.
- 1896 - Frank Samuelson and George Harbo set out from N.Y. and row across Atlantic in 56 days.
- 1907 - The first household detergent goes on sale in Dusseldorf, Germany - Persil.
- 1925 - First Chrysler automobile introduced by Walter Chrysler; expensive car to cost $1,500.
- 1928 - Last installment of Oxford English Dictionary published. PM Stanley Baldwin hosts dinner.
- 1933 - First drive-in movie opens for business in Camden, New Jersey.
- 1934 - SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) created to control stock markets; led by Joseph Kennedy.
- 1944 - D-Day Normandy. Allied troops under Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower in largest invasion in history. WWII
- 1949 - George Orwell's 1984 published.
- 1954 - First Eurovision song contest.
- 1962 - Beatles meet producer George Martin for the first time.
- 1971 - Ed Sullivan show on CBS TV plays last performance after 22 years 11 1/2 months.
- 2009 - African American convert to Judaism, Alysa Stanton, becomes first black rabbi in history; will lead congregation at synagogue in North Carolina.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Norbert (died today in 1134)
- Jarlath of Tuam
- Memorial Day in Korea
- Dragon Boat Festival in China
- Flag Day in Sweden
- D-Day - the Invasion of Normandy in 1944
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...