Born On This Day:
- Raphael, 1483
- Rene Lalique, 1860
- Butch Cassidy, 1866
- Lincoln Steffens, 1866
- Harry Houdini (adopted birthday), 1874
- Walter Huston, 1884
- John Middleton Murry, 1889
- Lowell Thomas, 1892
- Gerry Mulligan, 1927
- André Previn, 1929
- Merle Haggard, 1937
- Billy Dee Williams, 1937
- John Sculley, 1939
- Michelle Phillips, 1944
- John Ratzenberger, 1947
Died On This Day:
- Saint Methodius, AD 884
- King Richard I (the Lionheart), 1199
- Saint Peter the Martyr, 1252
- Raphael, 1520
- Albrecht Durer, 1528
- Sir Seymour Hicks, 1949
- Molly Picon, 1992
- Isaac Asimov AIDS, 1992
- Juvénal Habyarimana killed, 1994
- Greer Garson, 1996
- Prince Rainier of Monaco, 2005
- Mickey Rooney, 2014
- Merle Haggard, 2016
- Don Rickles, 2017
- 1712 - Slaves revolt in New York killing nine white people; 18 slaves executed.
- 1789 - First Catholic Diocese established in America at Baltimore, MD.
- 1808 - American Fur Company founded by John Jacob Astor.
- 1830 - Founding of the Mormon Church in Fayette Township, N.Y. by Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery.
- 1862 - Battle of Shiloh begins in U.S. Civil War; Gen. Ulysses S. Grant vs. Confederate Gen. Albert Johnston.
- 1868 - Mormon Church leader Brigham Young takes a bride - his 27th and last.
- 1896 - First Olympic Games of modern era inaugurated in Athens; American James Connolly wins first gold.
- 1900 - Jim Jefferies KO's Jack Finnegan in first round to become World Heavyweight boxing champ.
- 1903 - First pogrom begins in Kishinev, Moldova; bloodthirsty mobs crying "kill the Jews" run riot. 49 dead.
- 1906 - Mount Vesuvius erupts sending column of fire 1,000 feet high; lava flow kills hundreds in few days.
- 1909 - Robert Edwin Peary with servant Matt Henson & 4 Eskimos claims first arrival at North Pole.
- 1917 - George M. Cohan writes famous song, 'Over There.'
- 1917 - Woodrow Wilson signs declaration; U.S. declares war on Germany and enters WW1 at 1:18 p.m.
- 1926 - United Airlines first flight - a Swallow bi-plane delivering U.S. mail from Pasco, WA to Elko, NV.
- 1931 - Hostess Twinkies, invented by James Dewar, first go on sale.
- 1938 - Chemist Roy J. Plunkett of DuPont's NJ lab accidentally discovers Teflon, earth's slickest solid.
- 1955 - Discovery by astronomer Kenneth L. Franklin that radio waves from Jupiter, the first known noise from another planet, announced.
- 1956 - Capitol Records building at Hollywood and Vine, world's first round building, dedicated.
- 1965 - First commercial satellite launched at Cape Kennedy.
- 1994 - Massacres begin in Rwanda; Hutus in genocide against Tutsis; estimated 800,000 dead in 13 weeks.
- 2001 - California utility Pacific Gas and Electric files for bankruptcy.
- 2009 - 6.3 earthquake near medieval town of L'Aquila in the Apennine region of Abruzzo, Italy, kills 250 and topples 13,000 buildings.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Van Riebeeck Day or Founder's Day in South Africa
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the veral equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches;
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- BAISAKHI (in India) or VOISHU (in Kerala) or BOHAG BIHU (in Assam) - (Hindu New Year Festival)
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- MAHAVIR JAYANTI, Indian festival celebrating birth of Lord Mahavira, celebrated early April
- AKSHAYA TRITIYA, Hindu Festival, celebrated late April
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME - begins first Sunday in April - clocks forward
- Arbor Day - last Friday in April
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...