Born On This Day:
- King Louis VIII, 1187
- King Louis XIV, 1638
- Victorien Sardou, 1831
- Jesse James, 1847
- Morris Carnovsky, 1897
- A. C. Nielsen, 1897
- Florence Eldridge, 1901
- Darryl F. Zanuck, 1902
- Arthur Koestler, 1905
- John Cage, 1912
- John Mitchell, 1913
- Frank Yerby, 1916
- Jack Valenti, 1921
- Paul Volcker, 1927
- Bob Newhart, 1929
- Werner Erhard, 1935
- Carol Lawrence, 1935
- William Devane, 1939
- Raquel Welch, 1940
- Loudon Wainright III, 1946
- Freddie Mercury, 1946
- Buddy Miles, 1946
- Cathy Guisewite, 1950
Died On This Day:
- Pieter Bruegel, 1569
- Chief Crazy Horse (Sioux) killed, 1877
- Marcus Loew, 1927
- Josh White, 1969
- Sir Douglas Bader, 1982
- Gert Frobe, 1988
- Sir Georg Solti, 1997
- Mother Teresa, 1997
- Heywood Hale Broun, 2001
- Gisele MacKenzie, 2003
- Hugh O'Brian, 2016
- 1682 - Last three women executed for witchcraft in England.
- 1774 - First Continental Congress opens in Philadelphia with 13 colonies except GA represented.
- 1781 - Battle of Chesapeake Bay between British and French fleets.
- 1800 - Britain captures Malta; French troops surrender to British forces.
- 1836 - Sam Houston elected President of the Republic of Texas.
- 1867 - The Chisholm Trail used for the first time by cowboys delivering first herd of TX cattle to Abilene.
- 1882 - First Labor Day holiday parade held in New York City- 10,000 workers march.
- 1905 - Treaty of Portsmouth signed at 3:47 p.m. ending Russo Japanese War; Japan achieves all war aims.
- 1914 - First Battle of the Marne begins, WWI.
- 1939 - USA proclaims neutrality in European war, WWII.
- 1951 - Maureen 'Little Mo' Connolly becomes youngest ever winner of U.S. Tennis Championship at age 15.
- 1961 - John F. Kennedy signs first anti-hijack legislation.
- 1972 - Black September (PLO) guerrillas kill 12 members of Israel's Olympic Team at Munich Olympics.
- 1975 - President Gerald Ford assassination attempt in Sacramento, CA by Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromme.
- 2017 - Hurricane Irma with 185 mph winds passes over Barbuda on its way to Puerto Rico poised to decimate the Caribbean and beyond; most powerful Atlantic storm ever recorded.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Lawrence Giustiniani
- National Day in Western Samoa
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...