Born On This Day:
- Socrates (trad), 470 BC
- Thomas Chippendale (baptism), 1718
- Adam Smith (baptism), 1723
- Pancho Villa, 1878
- Igor Stravinsky, 1882
- John Maynard Keynes, 1883
- Madame Chiang Kai-Shek, 1897
- William Boyd, 1898
- Federico Garcia Lorca, 1898
- Richard Scarry, 1919
- Cornelius Ryan, 1920
- Tony Richardson, 1928
- Jacques Demy, 1931
- Christy Brown, 1932
- Bill Moyers, 1934
- Margaret Drabble, 1939
- Nigel Rees, 1944
- David Hare, 1947
- Ken Follett, 1949
- Kenny G, 1956
- Mark Wahlberg, 1971
Died On This Day:
- Louis X France, 1316
- Stephen Crane, 1900
- O. Henry, 1910
- Lord Kitchener, 1916
- Georges Feydeau, 1921
- Bill Tilden, 1953
- Sylvia Porter, 1991
- Conway Twitty, 1993
- Alfred Kazin, 1998
- Mel Torme, 1999
- Ronald Reagan, 2004
- Ray Bradbury, 2012
- 1783 - The hot-air balloon invented by Montgolfier brothers in first unmanned test flight over Paris.
- 1806 - Louis Bonaparte becomes King of newly formed kingdom of Holland.
- 1827 - Turks capture the Acropolis and enter Athens.
- 1857 - Siege of Cawnpore, key episode in Indian Rebellion of 1857, begins with Indian prince Nana Sahib attacking British troops.
- 1873 - Sultan of Zanzibar bans slave markets and slave exports.
- 1876 - The banana introduced to America at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia.
- 1877 - New York state passes Oleomargarine tax. (2¢ Margarine tax of 1886 made it a federal issue.)
- 1944 - King Victor Emmanuel III abdicates rule of Italy in favor of son Prince Humbert.
- 1944 - Allies liberate Rome; 250,000 people crowd St. Peter's for Pope Pius XII thanks-giving. WWII.
- 1947 - Marshall Plan announced; U.S. to aid economic recovery of Europe to prevent Communist influence.
- 1967 - Outbreak of six day war by Israel against Egypt, Syria and Jordan.
- 1968 - Robert F. Kennedy, campaigning for President, shot by Sirhan Sirhan in L.A. hotel at 12:15am.
- 1975 - Suez Canal re-opened after eight years.
- 1977 - Coup d'état in Seychelles; President Sir James Mancham deposed while overseas by Prime Minister Albert René.
- 1977 - Applie computer puts the first personal computer on sale - Apple II.
- 1981 - Immunologist Michael Gottlieb prints description of rare pneumonia in 5 homosexuals in newsletter - first mention of disease that would be AIDS.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Constitution day Denmark (1849)
- World Environment Day
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...