Born On This Day:
- Sir Robert Peel, 1788
- Belle Starr, 1848
- Adlai Stevenson, 1900
- John Carradine, 1906
- Norton Simon, 1907
- William Burroughs, 1914
- Andreas Georgios Papandreou, 1919
- Red Buttons, 1919
- Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, 1926
- Hank Aaron, 1934
- John Guare, 1938
- Roger Staubach, 1942
- Charlotte Rampling, 1946
- Christopher Guest, 1948
- Barbara Hershey, 1948
- Jennifer Jason Leigh, 1962
- Laura Linney, 1964
- Cristiano Ronaldo, 1985
Died On This Day:
- Cato suicide, 46 BC
- Marianne Moore, 1972
- Dean Jaggar, 1991
- Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1993
- Pamela Harriman, 1997
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 2008
- 1782 - Spanish capture Minorca from British.
- 1811 - King George III declared insane, first Prince of Wales becomes Prince Regent.
- 1817 - America's first gas company incorporated-Gas Light Company of Baltimore.
- 1818 - Charles XIV proclaimed King of Sweden.
- 1862 - 'Greenbacks' first issued by Abraham Lincoln.
- 1881 - The City of Phoenix incorporated in Arizona.
- 1885 - Congo State established under Leopold II Belgium.
- 1887 - Verdi's opera 'Otello' premieres at La Scala in Rome.
- 1901 - J. Pierpont Morgan forms U.S. Steel Corp. after buying Pittsburgh Steel and mines for $1 billion.
- 1919 - Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, Charlie Chaplin, D.W. Griffith & W.S. Hart form United Artists.
- 1936 - Chaplin's 'Modern Times' opens.
- 1953 - Walt Disney's 'Peter Pan' premieres.
- 1971 - Apollo 14 astronauts Alan Shepard and Ed Mitchell walk on moon for four hours.
- 1997 - Morgan Stanley agrees merger with Dean Witter to become biggest US securities company.
- 2007 - Impressionists sale at Sotheby's, London reaps European record £94 million; Soutine, Dufy, Sisley achieve records.
- 2018 - Dow Jones has biggest point loss in history: 1,175.21, a change of -4.60.
- 2018 - Dow Jones plunges almost 1200 points, the biggest drop in history.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Constitution Day in Mexico
- Johan Ludvig Runeberg's birthday in Finland
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- PRESIDENT'S DAY 3rd Monday in February observing births of Washington & Lincoln
- SHROVE TUESDAY (or Fat Tuesday). Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fasnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany and Austria, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S., Street Urchins' Carnival in Denmark & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring and Vernal Fire)
- HOLA MOHALLA, Sikh Festival celebrated in India
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- MAHA SHIVARATRI, Hindu Festival of the Night of Shiva, celebrated mid-February
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- CHINESE NEW YEAR celebrated all over the world in February
- SUPER BOWL SUNDAY - first Sunday in February from 2004
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...