Born On This Day:
- Denis Diderot, 1713
- Chester Alan Arthur, 1829
- Louis Lumiere, 1864
- John Erskine, 1879
- Ray Kroc, 1902
- Boris Chaliapin, 1904
- Josh Logan, 1908
- Donald Pleasence, 1919
- Glynis Johns, 1923
- Bill Dana, 1924
- Václav Havel, 1936
- Steve Miller, 1943
- Bob Geldof, 1951
- Karen Allen, 1951
- Grant Hill, 1972
- Kate Winslett, 1975
- Nicky Hilton, 1983
Died On This Day:
- King Philip III (The Bold) of France, 1285
- Lord Cornwallis, 1805
- Tecumseh, Chief of Shawnees killed, 1813
- Jacques Offenbach, 1880
- Louis Brandeis, 1941
- Sylvia Beach, 1962
- Harry Emerson Fosdick, 1969
- Walter Hagen, 1969
- Sidney Blackmer, 1973
- Gloria Grahame, 1981
- Leonard Rossiter, 1984
- Hal B. Wallis, 1986
- Rodney Dangerfield, 2004
- Steve Jobs, 2011
- 1789 - 6,000 angry women armed with knives and husbands march on Palace of Versailles blaming Marie Antoinette for lack of bread.
- 1793 - Christianity abolished in France.
- 1796 - Spain declares war on Britain.
- 1813 - U.S. Victory over British and Indians in Battle of the Thames, Ontario, Canada.
- 1892 - Four of five Dalton Gang members shot dead trying to rob Coffeyville, KS bank.
- 1910 - Portuguese Republic proclaimed; Manoel II deposed; provisional presidency under Theophilo Braga.
- 1921 - First radio broadcast of World Series play-by-play broadcast on WJZ, Newark NJ. (Giants beat Yankees)
- 1947 - Harry Truman gives first TV speech from the White House; asks Americans to cut down meat and chicken to stockpile grain for starving Europeans.
- 1955 - Pulitzer-prize winning 'Diary of Anne Frank' starts 717 performance run in New York.
- 1958 - Constitution of the 5th Republic of France comes into force.
- 1962 - First single by the Beatles, "Love Me Do," released in England by Parlophone Records; peaks at 17 on charts.
- 1969 - Monty Python's Flying Circus premieres on BBC Television in England replacing religious program.
- 1983 - Polish union solidarity leader Lech Walesa wins Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1984 - Kathryn Sullivan becomes first female astronaut to walk in space.
- 1994 - 48 members of Order of the Solar Temple sect led by Luc Jouret found dead in two Swiss villages.
- 2017 - Rape and sexual allegations agains movie mogul Harvey Weinstein starts #MeToo movement
- 2018 - Painting by street artist Banksy shreds itself after reaching winning price of $1.4 million.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Apollinaris of Valence
- Flora of Beaulieu
- Day of the Republic in Portugal (1910)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...