Born On This Day:
- François René de Chateaubriand, 1768
- Anton Bruckner, 1824
- Darius Milhaud, 1892
- Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter, 1893
- Antonin Artaud, 1896
- Edward Dmytryk, 1908
- Henry Ford II, 1917
- Paul Harvey, 1918
- Craig Claiborne, 1920
- Mitzi Gaynor, 1931
- Tom Watson, 1949
- Damon Wayans, 1960
- Mike Piazza, 1968
- Ione Skye, 1971
- Beyonce Knowles, 1981
Died On This Day:
- Robert Dudley earl of Leicester, 1588
- Saint Peter Claver, 1654
- Edvard Grieg, 1907
- Albert Schweitzer, 1965
- Hank Greenberg, 1986
- Georges Simenon, 1989
- Irene Dunne, 1990
- Thomas Tryon, 1991
- Dottie West, 1991
- Hervé Villechaize suicide, 1993
- William Kunstler, 1995
- Joan Rivers, 2014
- 1733 - Royal Menagerie in the Tower of London loses its first lioness to old age.
- 1781 - City of Los Angeles founded.
- 1833 - New York Sun first to advertise for newsboy; 10 year-old Barney Flaherty gets job.
- 1870 - France proclaims itself Third independent Republic after defeat of Napoleon III.
- 1882 - Thomas A. Edison switches on first commercial electric lights in N.Y. Central Station.
- 1888 - George Eastman patents first hand-held camera using roll film-Kodak.
- 1909 - First Boy Scout rally in England held at Crystal Palace, South London.
- 1935 - Sir Malcolm Campbell sets new world motor speed record of 300 mph in Bluebird at Bonneville salts.
- 1950 - Cartoonist Mort Walker premieres his comic strip 'Beetle Bailey' about goof-off Army enlistee.
- 1957 - National Guard called out by Gov. Orville Faubus of Arkansas to stop 9 black students entering Central High.
- 1957 - Ford introduces its new car-the '58 Edsel.
- 1972 - Mark Spitz becomes first person to win 7 Olympic Gold Medals.
- 1991 - F.W. de Klerk proposes new South Africa constitution and opens parliament to all races.
- 2016 - Nobel Peace Prize winner Mother Teresa canonized by Pope Francis making her a Catholic Saint.
- 2018 - Amazon becomes the second American company to be worth over one trillion dollars (after Apple). Jeff Bezos becomes number one richest person in the world with $164.7 billion.
Feast Day of Saint:
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...