Born On This Day:
- Nicholas-Jacques Conte, 1755
- Percy Bysshe Shelley, 1792
- William Henry Hudson, 1841
- Sir Harry Lauder, 1870
- Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, 1900
- Raul Wallenberg, 1912
- Yasser Arafat, 1929
- Martin Jarvis, 1941
- Rick Derringer, 1949
- Billy Bob Thornton, 1955
- Barack Obama, 1961
- Jeff Gordon, 1971
Died On This Day:
- King Henri I France, 1060
- Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, 1265
- King Wenceslas III Bohemia assassinated, 1306
- King Sebastian Portugal, 1578
- Hans Christian Andersen, 1875
- Eddie Condon, 1973
- Lord Thompson of Fleet, 1976
- Frank Fontaine, 1978
- Melvyn Douglas, 1981
- Jesse Unruh, 1987
- Victor Mature, 1999
- 1265 - Battle of Evesham in England; Earl of Leicester defeated by Price Edward, later Edward I.
- 1693 - The legend that Dom Pierre Pérignon invented champagne today is false, but he did make substantial contribution to the method of production and quality.
- 1735 - Freedom of the media established in American colonies when John Peter Zenger acquitted of libel.
- 1870 - British Red Cross founded seven years after International Red Cross in Geneva, Switzerland
- 1886 - Special delivery stamps first go on sale.
- 1892 - Lizzie Borden kills her parents with a hatchet in Fall River, MA; found not guilty 6/20/93
- 1914 - Germany invades Belgium WWI, and Britain declares war on Germany same day.
- 1916 - U.S. buys Virgin Islands from Denmark for $25 Million; official possession to come in March 1917.
- 1921 - First tennis match broadcast on radio-Davis Cup on KDKA, Pittsburg.
- 1937 - An Okapi (sort of half zebra, half giraffe) first imported to a zoo in America-Bronx Zoo, N.Y.
- 1944 - Gestapo in Amsterdam, Holland finds Anne Frank and family's hiding place.
- 1949 - 6,000 killed in Ecuador earthquake; 50 towns destroyed.
- 1953 - World record black marlin weighing 1,560 lbs. caught off Cabo Blanco, Peru by A. C. Glassell Jr.
- 1958 - Billboard magazine's 'Hot 100' chart introduced. First number one is Ricky Nelson's Poor Little Fool.
- 1984 - Republic of Upper Volta changes name to Burkina Faso.
- 1997 - Jeanne Calment, oldest person in the world at 122 dies; b. 2/21/1875; disliked Van Gogh.
Feast Day of Saint:
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...