Born On This Day:
- King George III, 1738
- Sir Christopher Cockerell, 1910
- Rosalind Russell, 1912
- Gaylord Nelson, 1916
- Robert Merrill, 1919
- Gene Barry, 1922
- Dennis Weaver, 1924
- Dr. Ruth Westheimer, 1929
- John Drew Barrymore, 1932
- Bruce Dern, 1936
- Freddy Fender, 1937
- Parker Stevenson, 1952
- El DeBarge, 1961
- Noah Wyle, 1971
- Angelina Jolie, 1975
Died On This Day:
- Casanova, 1798
- Kaiser Wilhelm II, 1941
- Georg Kaiser, 1945
- Dorothy Gish, 1968
- Joe E. Lewis, 1971
- Jack Gilford, 1990
- David Carradine found hanged, 2009
- 1070 - Traditional date of the discovery of Roquefort cheese in a cave near Roquefort, France.
- 1784 - Marie Thible of Lyons, France, becomes first woman to fly in hot-air balloon.
- 1816 - First double-decked steamboat launched at Wheeling, VA built by Capt Henry Miller Shreve.
- 1844 - Great Auk extinct; hunters kill last two on island of Eldey in Iceland.
- 1890 - First State employment service opens in Toledo, OH.
- 1893 - Henry Ford and several associates complete assembly of first Ford car in garage in Detroit at 2 a.m.
- 1912 - Fire in Constantinople; 1,000 homes destroyed.
- 1917 - First Pulitzer Prize for journalism editorial awarded to Frank Herbert Simonds of NY Tribune.
- 1937 - Inventor Sylvan Goldman introduces his shopping cart in his own Standard Supermarkets.
- 1940 - Winston Churchill's rallying speech to Britons under Nazi seige: "...we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."
- 1944 - Allies enter Rome. Last German occupiers fled capital ahead of US 9th Army. WWII.
- 1970 - U.S. Food and Drug administration approves the use of L-Dopa for Parkinson's Disease victims.
- 1971 - Yehudi Menuhin's 250 year-old Stradivarius sells for record $200,000 at Sotheby's.
- 1989 - Massacre by police against students in Tiananmen Square, Beijing ends.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Francis Caracciolo
- Independence Day Tonga (1970)
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...