Born On This Day:
- Thomas Carlyle, 1795
- Samuel Butler, 1835
- Lillian Russell, 1861
- Edith Cavell, 1865
- Wassily Kandinsky, 1866
- Rainer Maria Rilke, 1875
- Generallisimo Francisco Franco, 1892
- Deanna Durbin, 1921
- Horst Buchholz, 1933
- John Cale, 1940
- Dennis Wilson, 1944
- Jeff Bridges, 1949
- Marisa Tomei, 1964
- Jay-Z (Shawn Carter), 1969
- Tyra Banks, 1973
Died On This Day:
- Saint John of Damascus, AD 749
- King William the Lion of Scotland, 1214
- Pope John XXII, 1334
- Cardinal Richelieu, 1642
- Thomas Hobbes, 1679
- John Gay, 1732
- Luigi Galvani, 1798
- Benjamin Britten, 1966
- Bert Lahr, 1967
- Hannah Arendt, 1975
- Rouben Mamoulian, 1987
- Frank Zappa, 1993
- AD 771 - Karel the Great becomes king of all France.
- 1154 - Nicholas Breakspear becomes the first and only English Pope, Adrian IV (or Hadrian)
- 1674 - Father Jacques Marquette builds first dwelling, a mission, in what is now Chicago.
- 1786 - Mission Santa Barbara, Franciscan order, founded in California.
- 1791 - The Observer, England's oldest Sunday newspaper, first published.
- 1812 - Horsedrawn lawnmower patented by Peter Gaillard of Lancaster, PA.
- 1871 - Germany adopts gold standard.
- 1904 - Japanese lose another 11,000 men but gain last hill at Port Arthur in Russo Japanese War.
- 1918 - Woodrow Wilson leaves Washington to become first U.S. President in office to visit Europe.
- 1937 - Dandy comic book starring Desperate Dan first published; still going 4 December 2001.
- 1952 - Great London smog starts; 4,000 to die in next three weeks.
- 1991 - Pan American World Airways, founded in 1927, folds operations.
- 1991 - Longest held U.S. hostage in Lebanon, AP writer Terry Anderson, released after almost 7 years.
- 1997 - Europe health officials vote to ban tobacco advertising beginning in 4-5 years.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Peter Chrysologus
- Osmund (died today in 1099)
- Day of the Artisans celebrated in Mexico
- Proclamation Day in Tonga
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...