Born On This Day:
- Jacques Cartier, 1491
- Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) , 1720
- Lord Cornwallis, 1738
- Henri Matisse, 1869
- Elizabeth Arden, 1884
- Pola Negri, 1894
- Nathan Milstein, 1904
- Jule Styne, 1905
- Simon Wiesenthal, 1908
- Amarillo Slim, 1928
- Odetta, 1930
- Jaime Escalante, 1930
- Anthony Hopkins, 1937
- John Denver, 1943
- Ben Kingsley, 1943
- Sarah Miles, 1943
- Diane Von Furstenberg, 1947
- Donna Summer, 1948
- Tim Matheson, 1948
- Gong Li, 1965
Died On This Day:
- Roman Emperor Commodus murdered, AD 192
- Raoul Walsh, AD 198
- Catherine of Braganza, 1705
- Gustave Courbet, 1877
- Marshall McLuhan, 1980
- Sam Spiegel, 1985
- Rick Nelson killed, 1985
- Woody Strode, 1994
- José Greco, 2000
- Alan Cranston, 2000
- Edward Herrmann, 2014
- Natalie Cole, 2015
- Wayne Rogers, 2015
- 1492 - 100,000 Jews expelled from Sicily.
- 1599 - Queen of England grants Royal Charter to group of 215 Knights, Aldermen and Burgesses to trade with the East Indies - The British East India Company goes into business.
- 1775 - Benedict Arnold's attack on Quebec fails.
- 1781 - Bank of North America established by Congress to supply government with money.
- 1907 - Ball drops in Times Square for the first time signaling new year.
- 1923 - First transatlantic broadcast of a human voice from KDKA Pittsburgh.
- 1923 - Chimes of Big Ben first broadcast on radio.
- 1935 - The game Monopoly patented by inventor Charles Darrow.
- 1951 - Marshall Plan ends; replaced by Mutual Security agency.
- 1974 - The computer that started it all, the Altair 8800, displayed by Popular Electronics Magazine.
- 1991 - Twelve year civil war in El Salvador ends; five leftist armies reach agreement; 75,000 total dead.
- 1998 - Exchange rates locked for debut of the euro in 11 European countries; Britain not in first wave.
- 2006 - American television networks must vacate existing frequencies and go digital.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Columba of Sens
- Melania the Younger
- Silvester I
- NEW YEARS'S EVE, Hogmanay in Scotland
- Okera Mairi, Omisoka and Namahage festivals in Japan
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...