Born On This Day:
- Jan Vermeer, 1632
- John Keats, 1795
- Chiang Kai-Shek, 1886
- Ethel Waters, 1896
- Baron Nathaniel Rothschild, 1910
- Dale Evans, 1912
- Helmut Newton, 1920
- Dick Francis, 1920
- Barbara Bel Geddes, 1922
- Lee Grant, 1930
- Dan Rather, 1931
- Michael Landon, 1936
- David Ogden Stiers, 1942
- Stephen Rea, 1943
- Jane Pauley, 1950
- John Candy, 1950
- Peter Jackson, 1961
- Vanilla Ice, 1967
- Willow Smith, 2000
Died On This Day:
- Robert, Earl of Gloucester, 1147
- Harry Houdini, 1926
- Max Reinhardt, 1943
- Augustus John, 1961
- Ramon Novarro murdered, 1968
- Indira Gandhi assassinated, 1984
- John Houseman, 1988
- Joseph Papp, 1991
- River Phoenix OD, 1993
- Federico Fellini, 1993
- Ring Lardner Jr., 2000
- Pieter Willem Botha, 2006
- Studs Terkel, 2008
- Theodore Sorensen, 2010
- 1517 - Martin Luther nails 95 theses to church door at Wittenberg; Protestant Reformation starts.
- 1864 - Nevada becomes 36th state admitted to Union.
- 1883 - World Women's Christian Temperance Union organized at convention in Detroit.
- 1888 - Scottish inventor John Boyd Dunlop patents his pneumatic bicycle tyre.
- 1905 - Shaw's play 'Mrs. Warren's Profession' opens on Broadway; critics call it 'vicious,' 'indecent'.
- 1917 - Eugene O'Neill's first play, a one-act entitled "In the Zone," opens in New York at the Washington Square Players.
- 1921 - Rudolph Valentino's movie 'The Sheik' a sensation in NY Rivoli theatre opening.
- 1940 - Battle of Britain ends with a Royal air force loss of 915 planes, Luftwaffe 1,733. WWII.
- 1941 - Mount Rushmore Memorial completed with sculptures of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln & Roosevelt.
- 1951 - Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip make American TV debut on NBC.
- 1952 - America's first hydrogen bomb ( = 10 million tons TNT) detonated in Marshall Islands' Eniwetok Atoll.
- 1958 - First internal heart pacemaker was implanted by Swedish doctor Ake Senning.
- 1968 - Lyndon B. Johnson announces halt to bombing of North Vietnam.
- 1984 - Indira Gandhi shot dead by two of her own Sikh security guards while walking in her garden in Delhi.
- 2010 - General Motors announces the extinction of its 84 year-old Pontiac brand; last one manufactured May 2010.
- 2011 - World's seven billionth baby born.
- 2015 - 224 dead when Airbus crashes in Sinai after takeover at Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt; ISIS claims responsibility.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Birthday of Chiang Kai-Shek celebrated in Taiwan
- Halloween (All Hallow's eve)
- Nutcrack Night
- Reformation Day in W. Germany, Scandinavia, Estonia, Latvia etc.
- Celtic Festival of Samhain
- National Magic Day
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...