Born On This Day:
- David Oistrakh, 1908
- Deborah Kerr, 1921
- Jesse Unruh, 1922
- Truman Capote, 1924
- Elie Wiesel, 1928
- Angie Dickinson, 1932
- Johnny Mathis, 1935
- Len Cariou, 1939
- Marilyn McCoo, 1943
- Jack Wild, 1952
- Monica Bellucci, 1968
- Martina Hingis, 1980
Died On This Day:
- Saint Jerome, AD 420
- Sir Thomas Percy, 1811
- Saint Therese, 1897
- James Dean killed, 1955
- Simone Signoret, 1985
- Virgil Thompson, 1989
- Jessye Norman, 2019
- 1399 - Coronation of King Henry IV.
- 1452 - First section of Guttenberg Bible, first book printed from movable type, published in Germany.
- 1630 - First execution in America - murderer John Billington hanged in Plymouth, Mass.
- 1659 - Governor Peter Stuyvesant of New Netherland (America) forbids tennis playing on certain days.
- 1697 - Treaty of Ryswick. France, Britain, Spain & Holland recognize William III as King of England.
- 1791 - Mozart's 'The Magic Flute' (his last opera) first performed at Theater-auf-der-Wieden in Vienna.
- 1812 - Russia establishes a fort near Bodega Bay, California.
- 1888 - Jack the Ripper murders his second and third victims.
- 1902 - Rayon patented.
- 1907 - Plaza Hotel opens in New York with gala dinner.
- 1927 - Babe Ruth becomes first baseball player to hit 60 home runs in one season.
- 1935 - George Gershwin's 'Porgy and Bess' first performed in Boston.
- 1939 - First TV football game broadcast by NY station W2XBS.
- 1954 - Sandy Wilson's musical 'The Boy Friend' starts 485 performance run on Broadway.
- 1962 - Mob violence in Mississippi as Black student James Meredith tries to enroll at University of MS.
- 1982 - Television series 'Cheers' set in Boston bar starring Ted Danson and Shelley Long premieres.
- 1993 - 3:56 A.M. huge 6.4 earthquake hits India killing tens of thousands leading to mass cremations.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Otto of Bamberg
- Honorius of Canterbury
- Independence Day Botswana (1966)
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...