Born On This Day:
- Moses Maimonides, 1135
- Francisco de Goya, 1746
- Paul Verlaine, 1844
- Vincent Van Gogh, 1853
- Sean O'Casey, 1880
- Brooke Astor, 1902
- Frankie Laine, 1913
- McGeorge Bundy, 1919
- Ingvar Kamprad, 1926
- Tom Sharpe, 1928
- Richard Dysart, 1929
- Warren Beatty, 1937
- Eric Clapton, 1945
- Paul Reiser, 1957
- Hammer, 1963
- Tracy Chapman, 1964
- Piers Morgan, 1965
- Celine Dion, 1968
- Secretariat (race horse), 1970
Died On This Day:
- Beau Brummel, 1840
- Rudolf Steiner, 1925
- Erwin Piscator, 1966
- Bobby Driscoll OD, 1968
- Gabriel Heatter, 1972
- Airey Neave killed, 1979
- Archbishop Oscar Romero shot, 1980
- John Ciardi, 1986
- Clint Murchison, 1987
- Harry Bridges, 1990
- Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, 2002
- Michael Jeter AIDS, 2003
- Dith Pran, 2008
- Jaime Escalante, 2010
- 240 BC - Chinese astronomers observe a 'broom-shaped star' - the first sighting of Halley's Comet.
- 1282 - Frenchman harasses Sicilian woman at vespers (evening prayer) in Palermo, Sicily; over next six weeks 4,000 Frenchmen are killed.
- 1806 - Joseph Bonaparte becomes King of Naples.
- 1822 - Florida becomes U.S. territory officially.
- 1842 - First operation using anesthetic, a cyst removal, is performed by Dr. Crawford Long in Georgia.
- 1848 - Ice jam causes Niagara Falls to run dry; public panic, fish die, factories shut for 50 hours.
- 1856 - Treaty of Paris ends Crimean War; gives Turkey independence.
- 1858 - Inventor Hyman Lipman of Philadelphia patents pencil with attached eraser.
- 1867 - U.S. buys Alaska from Russia for $7.2M, (1.9 cents per acre); Seward's folly?!
- 1870 - U.S. allows Texas to reenter Union.
- 1870 - 15th Amendment ratified-suffrage is not to be revoked, especially Negro suffrage.
- 1912 - Morocco becomes French protectorate by Treaty of Fez.
- 1972 - London takes over rule of Northern Ireland. (Northern Ireland Temporary Provisions Act).
- 1973 - Last U.S. prisoner in Vietnam released; US military role in Vietnam ends.
- 1981 - President Reagan, James Brady and 2 more shot by John W. Hinckley Jr. in Washington, D.C.
- 1987 - Vincent Van Gogh's painting 'Sunflowers' sells for $39.9 million at Christies, London.
- 1998 - Murderess Judy Buenoano electrocuted by Florida's 'Old Sparky,' first woman executed since 1848.
Feast Day of Saint:
- John Climacus
- SHROVE TUESDAY. Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fastnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S. & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring), celebrated early March
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- LAILAT AL-QADR, I'D AL-FITR & IDU'L FITAR, Muslim Festivals
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches
- CHING MING FESTIVAL & QING MING (Singapore), All Souls Day in Far East
- NOTE; EASTER is also called Ostern in Germany and Switzerland, Pasqua in Italy, Pascua Florida or Domingo de Gloria in Spain, Pâques in France, Velykos in Lithuania, Wielkanoc in Polish, Pasha in Greece, Påske in Norway, Påskdagen in Sweden, Zadig in Armenia, Paschen in The Netherlands, Paschoa in Portugal,
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- RAMA-NAVAMI, Hindu Festival of Rama, celebrated at the end of March
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- COMMONWEALTH DAY in Britain Second Monday in March
- MOTHERING SUNDAY - fourth Sunday of Lent celebrated in England
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...