Born On This Day:
- Emperor Titus, AD 39
- Rudyard Kipling, 1865
- Simon Guggenheim, 1867
- Stephen Leacock, 1869
- Alfred E. Smith, 1873
- L. P. Hartley, 1895
- Sir Carol Reed, 1906
- Bert Parks, 1914
- Jo Van Fleet, 1922
- Bo Diddley, 1928
- Jack Lord, 1930
- Sandy Koufax, 1935
- Russ Tamblyn, 1935
- Del Shannon, 1939
- Davy Jones, 1945
- Patti Smith, 1946
- Jeff Lynne, 1947
- Tracey Ullmann, 1959
- Tiger Woods, 1975
- LeBron James, 1984
Died On This Day:
- Richard Plantagenet duke of York assassinated, 1460
- Pope Innocent IX, 1591
- Robert Boyle, 1691
- Amelia Jenks Bloomer, 1894
- Grigory Rasputin assassinated/drowned, 1916
- Alfred North Whitehead, 1947
- Richard Rodgers, 1979
- Irving 'Swifty' Lazar, 1993
- Lew Ayres, 1996
- John Gregory Dunne, 2003
- Artie Shaw, 2004
- Rona Jaffe, 2005
- Saddam Hussein hanged, 2006
- Ronald Searle, 2011
- 1672 - Violinist John Banister inaugurates first advertised public concert in his home in London charging one shilling; audience could name the tunes they wished to hear.
- 1731 - Boston News-letter becomes first publication to report news of a concert event.
- 1853 - James Gadsden negotiates purchase of land from Mexico which later becomes NM & AZ.
- 1854 - America's first oil company, the Pennsylvania Rock Oil Co. is incorporated in New York.
- 1880 - Transvaal Boers under Kruger declare a republic.
- 1887 - Petition delivered to Queen Victoria to ban pubs on Sundays containing signatures of one million women.
- 1897 - Zululand annexed to Natal.
- 1903 - 589 dead in Chicago's famous Iroquois Theatre fire.
- 1916 - Rasputin poisoned, shot, shot again, bludgeoned, bound, and thrown into freezing river by Prince Yusupov's group.
- 1922 - Union of Socialist Soviet Republics inc. Russia, Ukraine, Trans-caucasus, established.
- 1924 - Edwin Hubble announces the existence of other galactic systems; news that Andromeda not in Milky Way creates a storm.
- 1940 - Los Angeles freeway system dedicated.
- 1947 - King Michael of Rumania abdicates.
- 1948 - 'Kiss Me Kate' starts 1,070 performance run in NY.
- 1972 - US stops heavy bombing of North Vietnam.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Republic Day in Madagascar
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...