Born On This Day:
- John Adams, 1735
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan, 1751
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky , 1821
- Alfred Sisley, 1839
- Paul Valery, 1871
- Admiral Bull Halsey, 1882
- Ezra Pound, 1885
- Charles Atlas, 1893
- Ruth Gordon, 1896
- Ruth Hussey, 1914
- Fred Friendly, 1915
- Herschel Bernardi, 1923
- Nestor Almendros, 1930
- Louis Malle, 1932
- Michael Winner, 1935
- Grace Slick, 1939
- Henry Winkler, 1945
- Harry Hamlin, 1951
Died On This Day:
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox, 1919
- Ramon Novarro, 1968
- Lillian Carter, 1983
- Steve Allen, 2000
- Robert Goulet, 2007
- 1485 - Henry VII crowned King of England.
- 1768 - America's first Methodist chapel dedicated in New York City by minister Philip Embury.
- 1817 - Independent government of Venezuela formed by Simon Bolivar.
- 1841 - Fire at the Tower of London.
- 1888 - Ball point pen patented by inventor John J. Loud of Weymouth, Mass.
- 1919 - Professional baseball association rules that spitballs and shineballs are illegal.
- 1938 - Orson Welles' radio play of H. G. Wells' 'War of the Worlds' on CBS causes panic in the U.S.A.
- 1941 - German submarine sinks American destroyer Reuben James a month before US enters WWII.
- 1974 - Muhammad Ali regains World Heavyweight Championship in Zaire; KO's George Foreman in 8th.
- 1980 - Iranian boy Mohammed Hossein Fahmideh, age 13, becomes world's first suicide bomber when he throws himself under Iraqi tank with live hand grenade.
- 1983 - 7.1 earthquake in Turkey kills 1,000.
- 1988 - 6,516 followers of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon are married in mass ceremony at Seoul, S. Korea.
- 2004 - Three million people attend parade in Boston celebrating Boston Red Sox's World Series win, the first in 86 years.
- 2010 - Three bottles of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild 1869 wine sold for $232,692 EACH at Sotheby's Hong Kong, a new world record.
- 2014 - Apple Chief Exec Tim Cook becomes first leader of a Fortune 500 company to come out as gay.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Marcellus the Centurion
- Alphonsus Rodriguez
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...