Born On This Day:
- Tintoretto, 1518
- Miguel de Cervantes, 1547
- Clive of India (Robert), 1725
- Horatio, Lord Nelson, 1758
- Enrico Fermi, 1901
- Gene Autry, 1907
- Greer Garson, 1908
- Michaelangelo Antonioni, 1912
- Trevor Howard, 1913
- Stanley Kramer, 1913
- Lizabeth Scott, 1922
- Anita Ekberg, 1931
- Jerry Lee Lewis, 1933
- Silvio Berlusconi, 1936
- Madeline Kahn, 1942
- Jean-Luc Ponty, 1942
- Lech Walesa, 1943
- Bryant Gumbel, 1948
Died On This Day:
- King Ferdinand VII Spain, 1833
- Émile Zola, 1902
- Winslow Homer, 1910
- Rudolf Diesel, 1913
- Carson McCullers, 1967
- Edward Everett Horton , 1970
- Casey Stengel, 1975
- Pope John Paul I, 1978
- Henry Ford II, 1987
- Charles Addams, 1988
- Roy Lichtenstein, 1997
- Tony Curtis, 2010
- 1399 - Richard II deposed by cousin King Henry IV (Henry Bolingbroke).
- 1789 - U.S. Army created by order of George Washington. 1,000 troops go on duty.
- 1793 - Sporting Magazine in England first mentions new outdoor game- 'field tennis.'
- 1829 - First police dept. formed in London-Scotland Yard; first 'bobbies,' named for Robert Peel, hit streets.
- 1833 - Queen Isabella II succeeds King Ferdinand VII in Spain.
- 1927 - Telephone service between U.S. and Mexico inaugurated.
- 1941 - Nazis slaughter 33,771 Jews in two days, in the massacre at Babi Yar near Kiev. WWII
- 1950 - First automatic telephone answering machine tested by Bell Labs.
- 1955 - Arthur Miller's 'A View from the Bridge' opens at Coronet Theatre, N.Y.
- 1957 - NY Giants play last football game at Polo Grounds losing 9-1 to Pittsburgh Pirates. Giants move to San Francisco next year.
- 1961 - Bob Dylan signed to CBS recording contract by legendary Columbia Records exec. John Hammond.
- 1976 - Armand Hammer acquires 'Juno' by Rembrandt for record $3.25 million.
- 1979 - One third of the population of Ireland gather in Dublin to attend Papal mass by Pope John Paul II - 1.25 million people.
- 1988 - Stacy Marie Allison becomes first U.S. woman to scale Mt. Everest.
- 2008 - Economic rescue plan defeated in US by House of Representatives; Dow Jones plummets 778 points, largest market drop in US history - 7%; Depression begins?
Feast Day of Saint:
- Michael the Archangel
- Rhipsime and Gaiana
- Cyriacus the Recluse
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...