Born On This Day:
- Charles Alexis de Tocqueville, 1805
- Booth Tarkington, 1869
- Maria Ouspenskaya, 1876
- Don Marquis, 1878
- Benito Mussolini, 1883
- Sigmund Romberg, 1887
- William Powell, 1892
- Thelma Todd, 1905
- Dag Hammerskjold, 1905
- Clara Bow, 1905
- Melvin Belli, 1907
- Paul Taylor, 1930
- Elizabeth Dole, 1936
- Peter Jennings, 1938
- Peter Jennings, 1938
- David Warner, 1941
- Bill Forsyth, 1946
- Marilyn Quayle, 1949
- Patty Scialfa, 1956
- Michael Spinks, 1956
Died On This Day:
- King Philip I France, 1108
- William Wilberforce, 1833
- Robert Schumann, 1856
- Vincent van Gogh suicide, 1890
- King Umberto I of Italy assassinated, 1900
- Sir John Barbirolli, 1970
- Mama Cass Elliott, 1974
- Robert Moses, 1981
- Luis Bu˝uel, 1983
- Raymond Massey, 1983
- David Niven, 1983
- Fred Waring, 1984
- Jerome Robbins, 1998
- Francis Crick, 2004
- Hildegarde, 2005
- 1565 - Mary Queen of Scots marries Henry Stewart, Lord Darnley, her cousin.
- 1588 - Spanish Armada sighted by British off Cornwall; Sir Francis Drake puts to sea with English fleet.
- 1899 - Court of the Hague established.
- 1900 - Victor Emmanuel III, 31, becomes King of Italy on the assassination of his father Umberto I.
- 1907 - Robert Baden-Powell recruits 12 boys for camping trip to Brownsea Island; Boy scouting born. 1933-Cornerstone laid for America's first sanatorium for drug addicts at Lexington, KY.
- 1945 - Treaty of Moscow signed.
- 1948 - After 12 year absence, 14th Olympic Games opened in Wembley, England by King George VI.
- 1958 - NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) created.
- 1974 - Episcopal church in Philadelphia ordains first eleven women as priests.
- 1975 - Military coup in Nigeria.
- 1978 - Instant TV replays are now legal for referees use in professional football.
- 1981 - Prince Charles marries Lady Diana Spencer.
- 2013 - Biggest jewel heist in history; lone thief steals $136 million in gems and watches at high noon from Carlton Hotel in Cannes.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Olaf, King of Norway (died today in 1030)
- William of Saint-Brieue
- Felix II, antipope
- Lupus of Troyes
- Olsok Eve celebrated in Norway
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG Y▄AN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...