Born On This Day:
- Robert Schumann, 1810
- Sir Henry Morton Stanley, 1841
- Dr. William James Mayo, 1861
- George Hale, 1868
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, 1900
- Nelson Eddy, 1901
- Frank Loesser, 1910
- John Toland, 1912
- Ruth Warrick, 1915
- Slim Pickens, 1919
- Ray Harryhausen, 1920
- Bob Evans, 1930
- Oriana Fallaci, 1930
- Stokely Carmichael, 1941
- Gary Busey, 1944
- Richard Lewis, 1947
- Pedro Guerrero, 1956
Died On This Day:
- Henry Clay, 1852
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, 1861
- T. H. Huxley, 1895
- Fatty Arbuckle, 1933
- Paul Klee, 1940
- Ignacy Paderewski, 1941
- Jayne Mansfield killed, 1967
- Moise Tshombe, 1969
- Bob Crane murdered, 1978
- Irving Wallace, 1990
- Lana Turner, 1995
- Vittorio Gassman, 2000
- Rosemary Clooney, 2002
- Katherine Hepburn, 2003
- Karl Reiner, 2020
- 3123 BC - Shortly before dawn, Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed by asteroid noted by Sumarian astronomer on tablets, according to scientists.
- 1456 - Halley's comet arrives.
- 1613 - Shakespeare's Globe Theatre burns to the ground during opening night of Henry VIII. Audience escapes unharmed.
- 1855 - Daily Telegraph (London) founded.
- 1871 - Trades Unions legalized in Britain.
- 1880 - France annexes Tahiti.
- 1888 - World's first musical recording made in Britain at Crystal Palace Handel Festival.
- 1888 - First appendectomy in Britain performed by Professor Frederick Treves.
- 1905 - Automobile Association founded in London.
- 1934 - 'Night of the Long Knives' - Hitler purges political opponents over this weekend; 200 killed.
- 1949 - South Africa begins apartheid with ban on interracial marriages.
- 1956 - Marilyn Monroe marries Arthur Miller in London.
- 1966 - U.S. bombs capital Hanoi and Haiphong destroying major North Vietnam oil supply.
- 1969 - Gay Liberation Front founded when police raid Sheridan Square, N.Y. after riots at Stonewall Inn.
- 1986 - Richard Branson's boat, Virgin Atlantic Challenger II crosses Atlantic in a record 3 days 8 hrs, 31 minutes.
- 1987 - Van Gogh's 'Le Pont de Trinquetaille' sells for $20.24 million at Christie's in London.
- 1995 - Russian space station Mir and shuttle Atlantis dock, forming largest man-made satellite to orbit earth.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Independence Day Seychelles (1976)
- St. Peter's Day celebrated in Portugal, Turkey
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...