Born On This Day:
- King Charles II, 1630
- Patrick Henry, 1736
- G. K. Chesterton, 1874
- Josef von Sternberg, 1894
- Beatrice Lillie, 1894
- Bob Hope, 1903
- T. H. White, 1906
- Sherpa Tenzing Norgay, 1914
- John F. Kennedy, 1917
- Herb Shriner, 1918
- Felix Rohatyn, 1928
- Fay Vincent, 1938
- Helmut Berger, 1944
- Danny Elfman, 1953
- John W. Hinckley, Jr., 1955
- La Toya Jackson, 1956
- Rupert Everett, 1959
- Melissa Etheridge, 1961
- Lisa Whelchel, 1963
- Mel (Sporty Spice) Brown, 1975
Died On This Day:
- Pope Pius III, 1439
- Emperor Constantine XI killed, 1453
- General Winfield Scott , 1866
- W.S. Gilbert, 1911
- John Barrymore, 1942
- Dame May Whitty , 1948
- Fanny Brice, 1951
- John Gunther, 1970
- Goddard Lieberson, 1977
- Mary Pickford, 1979
- Romy Schneider, 1982
- Coral Browne, 1991
- Margaret Chase Smith, 1995
- Barry Goldwater, 1998
- Archibald Cox, 2004
- Harvey Korman, 2008
- Dennis Hopper, 2010
- Manuel Noriega, 2017
- 1453 - Fall of Constantinople to Turks, Byzantine Empire ends after 1,000 year rule.
- 1660 - Charles II restored to the Crown of England on his birthday after demise of Cromwell Commonwealth.
- 1721 - South Carolina incorporated as a Royal Colony.
- 1790 - Rhode Island 13th State admitted to Union.
- 1843 - Frémont expedition under John C. Frémont leaves Kansas City to survey route to Oregon.
- 1848 - Wisconsin 30th state admitted to Union.
- 1856 - Abe Lincoln said 'You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the...'
- 1913 - Stravinsky/Najinsky ballet 'The Rite of Spring' premieres in Paris to catcalls and fistfights.
- 1919 - Charles Strite of Stillwater, Minnesota files patent for the pop-up toaster.
- 1940 - Evacuation of Dunkirk begins; 338,226 British and French troops evacuated in next week.
- 1942 - Bing Crosby records a song called 'White Christmas' which goes on to sell over 170 million copies.
- 1953 - Sir Edmund Hillary conquers Mount Everest summit with Sherpa Tensing Norgay at 11:30 a.m.
- 1979 - Mystery of death of Czar Nicholas II and Anastasia ends as Gelli Ryabov finds secret burial site.
- 1980 - J.M.W. Turner's painting 'Juliet and Her Nurse' sold for auction record $6.4 million in New York.
Feast Day of Saint:
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- PROCESSION OF THE HOLY BLOOD in Belgium on first Monday after May 2.
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- ASCENSION DAY (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTACOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- I'D AL-HAJJ, Muslim Festival
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- BUDDHA PURNIMA, Hindu Festival, celebrated early May
- GANGA DASSHERA, Hindu Festival, celebrated end of May
- ARMED FORCES DAY in US - third Saturday in May
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in US - first Thursday in May
- NATIONAL DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION DAY - third Friday in May in US
- NATIONAL TEACHER'S DAY - Tuesday in the first full week in May in US
- VICTORIA DAY - first Monday before May 25, celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in Canada
- WESAK FESTIVAL celebrated in the eastern hemisphere at the Taurus full moon, beginning of May
- GOODWILL FESTIVAL celebrated at the Gemini full moon, end of May
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...