Born On This Day:
- James Boswell, 1740
- John Keats, 1759
- Jean Giraudoux, 1882
- Fanny Brice, 1891
- Joseph Goebbels, 1897
- A. J. Ayer, 1910
- Bill Mauldin, 1921
- Dominick Dunne, 1925
- Zoot Sims, 1925
- Melba Moore, 1945
- Richard Dreyfuss, 1947
- Kate Jackson, 1948
- Winona Ryder, 1971
Died On This Day:
- Sir Walter Raleigh beheaded, 1618
- Nathan Bedford Forrest, 1877
- Leon Czolgosz electrocuted, 1901
- Joseph Pulitzer, 1911
- King Gustav V Sweden, 1950
- Louis B. Mayer, 1957
- Guthrie McClintic, 1961
- Adolphe Menjou, 1963
- Duane Allman killed, 1971
- Woody Herman, 1987
- Terry Southern, 1995
- Letitia Baldrige, 2012
- 1787 - Mozart's 'Don Giovanni' first performed in Prague; Mozart conducts himself.
- 1863 - International Committee of the Red Cross founded in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1923 - Turkey proclaimed a republic under Mustapha Kemal, president.
- 1929 - 'Black Tuesday' Crash of New York Stock Market begins The Great Depression; Dow falls 11.7%.
- 1952 - Fredrick Knott's 'Dial M For Murder' starts 552 performance run on Broadway.
- 1956 - NOW, the National Organization of Women founded.
- 1956 - Israeli forces invade Sinai Peninsula and Egypt beginning Suez Canal crisis.
- 1967 - 'Hair' opens at New York Shakespeare Festival's Public Theatre.
- 1969 - First internet crash as Charley Kline's login causes overflow; fixed by Bill Duvall at Stanford.
- 1969 - First computer-to-computer message sent across Internet (then called Arpanet) from UCLA to SRI.
- 1995 - World's worst subway accident - at Baku, Azerbaijan 337 killed, 200 injured from fire, deadly gas.
- 1998 - 77 year-old John Glenn becomes oldest man in space.
- 2012 - Hurricane Sandy hits US Eastern Seaboard and turns into superstorm wreaking devastation; 39 dead, six million without power.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Republic Day in Turkey (1923)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...