Born On This Day:
- Pope Paul IV, 1476
- Henry VIII, 1491
- Peter Paul Rubens, 1577
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau, 1712
- Luigi Pirandello, 1867
- Luisa Tetrazzini, 1871
- John Dillinger, 1902
- Richard Rodgers, 1902
- Eric Ambler, 1909
- A.E. Hotchner, 1920
- Mel Brooks, 1926
- Pat Morita, 1933
- Gilda Radner, 1942
- Kathy Bates, 1948
- Don Baylor, 1949
- John Elway, 1960
- John Cusack, 1966
- Danielle Brisebois, 1969
Died On This Day:
- Saint/Pope Paul I, AD 767
- Francesco Caracciolo, duca de Brienza, 1799
- James Madison, 1836
- Archduke Francis Ferdinand assassinated, 1914
- Rod Serling, 1975
- Helen Gahagan Douglas, 1980
- José Iturbi, 1980
- Mikhail Tal, 1992
- Joan Sims, 2001
- Jack Carter, 2015
- 1687 - First American knighted by King James II; William Phipps honored for discovery of treasure ship.
- 1778 - Battle of Monmouth, New Jersey (Revolutionary War).
- 1832 - First cholera epidemic breaks out in U.S.
- 1838 - Queen Victoria's coronation at Westminster Abbey, London.
- 1859 - World's first dog show in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England.
- 1910 - Westminster Cathedral consecrated.
- 1910 - First Zeppelin airliner crashes.
- 1914 - Shot heard 'round the world' kills Archduke Ferdinand and wife at Sarajevo and starts WW1
- 1919 - Treaty of Versailles ends WWI exactly five years after assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand; Woodrow Wilson, Clemenceau & Lloyd George heralded.
- 1947 - Last streetcar trolley retired in New York City.
- 1967 - After six day war, Jerusalem reunited under Israeli control; Jews stream in to pray at wall.
- 1970 - First major Gay rights protest; thousands march from Greenwich Village to Central Park, NY.
- 1971 - Titian's 'The Death of Actaeon' 16th Century masterpiece sold to Getty Museum for $4,032,000.
- 1988 - 'Dans La Prairie' ('In the Meadow') by Claude Monet sold for $24.59 million at Sotheby's London.
Feast Day of Saint:
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...