Born On This Day:
- Woodrow Wilson, 1856
- Saint John Ervine, 1883
- Cliff Arquette, 1905
- Earl Fatha Hines, 1905
- Lew Ayres, 1908
- Sam Levenson, 1911
- Lou Jacobi, 1913
- Hildegarde Neff, 1925
- Milton Obote, 1925
- Maggie Smith, 1933
- Herb Gardner, 1934
- Birendra Bir Bikram Shah Deva of Nepal, 1945
- Edgar Winter, 1947
- Denzel Washington, 1954
Died On This Day:
- St. Francis de Sales, 1622
- Queen Mary II, 1694
- Rob Roy, 1734
- Stan Lee, 1922
- Gustave Eiffel, 1923
- Clarence Day, 1935
- Maurice Ravel, 1937
- Theodore Dreiser, 1945
- King Vittorio Emmanuel III of Italy, 1947
- Paul Hindemith, 1963
- A. J. Liebling, 1968
- Sonny Liston, 1970
- Harry Winston, 1978
- Dennis Wilson OD, 1983
- Sam Peckinpah, 1984
- Dian Fossey, 1985
- William Shirer, 1993
- Clayton Moore, 1999
- Jerry Orbach, 2004
- Susan Sontag, 2004
- 1065 - Construction begins on Westminster Abbey.
- 1594 - Shakespeare's "The Comedy of Errors" performed as part of Xmas celebrations at Gray's Inn, London.
- 1846 - Iowa becomes 29th state admitted to Union.
- 1869 - Chewing gum patented by William Finley Semple of Mt. Vernon, Ohio.
- 1879 - Tay Bridge disaster in Scotland between Dundee and Wormit; bridge collapses in gale as train passes over - 75 dead.
- 1895 - First commercial film show in Paris by Lumiere Brothers at Grand Café, Blvd. des Capucines.
- 1897 - 'Cyrano de Bergerac' by Edmond Rostand premieres in Paris.
- 1908 - Earthquake strikes Messina in Italy; 200,000 die; biggest tremor ever in Europe.
- 1937 - Irish Free State becomes the Republic of Ireland.
- 1938 - Thornton Wilder's 'The Matchmaker' opens on Broadway at the Guild Theatre.
- 1945 - The Pledge of Allegiance adopted by Congress.
- 1961 - Tennessee Williams' 'The Night of the Iguana' opens on Broadway at the Royale Theatre.
- 1967 - First woman seat owner of New York Stock Exchange, Muriel Siebert, admitted.
- 1974 - 6.8 earthquake in Pakistan kills 5,200.
- 1981 - America's first test-tube baby, Elizabeth Jordan Carr, is born in Norfolk, VA.
- 2014 - AirAsia jet with 162 passengers disappears after takeoff in Surabaya; third Malaysia-based airline disaster this year.
Feast Day of Saint:
- The Holy Innocents-Childermas
- Anthony of Lerins
- Theodore the Sanctified
- Holy Innocents Day celebrated in Yugoslavia
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...