Born On This Day:
- Desiderius Erasmus, 1467
- Escoffier, 1846
- Elsa Lanchester, 1902
- Evelyn Waugh, 1903
- Edith Head, 1907
- Francis Bacon, 1909
- Jonas Salk, 1914
- Joan Plowright, 1929
- Suzy Parker, 1933
- Charlie Daniels, 1936
- Jane Alexander, 1939
- Randy Newman, 1943
- Dennis Franz, 1944
- Bruce Jenner, 1949
- Annie Potts, 1954
- Bill Gates, 1955
- Julia Roberts, 1967
Died On This Day:
- Alfred the Great, AD 901
- Queen Margaret Denmrk/Norwy/Swedn, 1412
- John Locke, 1704
- Abigail Adams, 1818
- Doris Duke, 1993
- Ted Hughes, 1998
- 'Red' Auerbach, 2006
- James MacArthur, 2010
- 4004 BC - Adam and Eve born on a Friday according to Irish Archbishop James Ussher.
- 1216 - Nine year-old Henry III crowned King of England succeeding King John; to reign for 56 years.
- 1492 - Columbus discovers Cuba.
- 1636 - Harvard University founded at Cambridge, Mass. but not named Harvard for another three years.
- 1726 - "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift is published anonymously in England.
- 1776 - George Washington retreats to New Jersey as British win Battle of White Plains.
- 1886 - Statue of Liberty dedicated by President Grover Cleveland; Chauncey Depew is principal speaker.
- 1901 - Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show train collides head first with another killing many animals and people.
- 1929 - Biggest one day loss as Dow Jones plunges 12.8% as tomorrow starts Great Depression
- 1929 - First baby born in an airplane-a girl born to Mrs. T.W. Evans over Miami, FL.
- 1938 - 17,000 Polish Jews arrested and forced to cross Polish-German border; Polish border guards send them back; stalemate for days in rain until Poles finally allow Jews into refugee camp.
- 1962 - Cuban missile crisis ends as Russian premier Nikita Khrushchev agrees to pull missiles out of Cuba.
- 1963 - Pennsylvania station NY demolished; makes way for Madison Square Garden & 33 story skyscraper.
- 1965 - St. Louis's Gateway Arch, world's tallest monument by architect Eero Saarinen, completed.
- 1983 - 7.2 earthquake hits Northwestern states and Canada.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Jude and Simon
- Demetrius of Rostov
- Day of Hathor Egyptian form of Venus
- Independence Day Czechoslovakia (1918)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...