Born On This Day:
- Cornelius Vanderbilt, 1794
- Amelia Jenks Bloomer, 1818
- Jay Gould, 1836
- Wild Bill Hickok, 1837
- Arnold Bennett, 1867
- Isadora Duncan, 1878
- Dashiell Hammett, 1894
- Rachel Carson, 1907
- Hubert Humphrey, 1911
- Teddy Kollek, 1911
- Vincent Price, 1911
- John Cheever, 1912
- Sam Snead, 1912
- Bishop Mervyn Stockwood, 1913
- Herman Wouk, 1915
- Gene Fowler, Jr., 1917
- Yashuhiro Nakasone, 1918
- Christopher Lee, 1922
- Inge Morath, 1923
- Sumner Redstone, 1923
- Henry Kissinger, 1923
- Harlan Ellison, 1934
- Ramsay Lewis, 1935
- Lee Meriwether, 1935
- Lou Gossett Jr., 1936
- Cilla Black, 1943
- Bruce Weitz, 1943
- Heston Blumenthal, 1956
- Pat Cash, 1965
- Paul Gascoigne, 1967
- Jamie Oliver, 1975
Died On This Day:
- John Calvin, 1564
- Niccolo Paganini, 1840
- Robert Ripley, 1949
- Jawaharlal Nehru, 1964
- Ezzard Charles, 1975
- Victor Kiam, 2001
- Gregg Allman, 2017
- 1096 - To avoid forced conversion by the Crusaders, 1,200 Jews in Mayence, Germany committ mass suicide using ritual slaughter knives.
- 1647 - First woman executed as a witch in America in Massachusetts. (Not Salem until 1692)
- 1679 - Parliament passes Habeas Corpus Act-arrested person must come before judge to determine legality.
- 1703 - Czar Peter the Great proclaims St. Petersburg the new Russian capital.
- 1767 - Thomas Jefferson plants first broccoli seeds in America.
- 1904 - Triumph of Japanese Navy over Russians in the Battle of Tsushima. (Russo Japanese War)
- 1919 - First airplane crosses Atlantic; Navy seaplane NC-4 , 'Lame Duck,' flies Rockaway NY to Lisbon.
- 1930 - Cellophane transparent tape patented by inventor Richard Gurley Drew; 3M to manufacture.
- 1937 - Golden Gate Bridge opens in San Francisco; 200,000 pedestrians walk across.
- 1941 - German Battleship Bismarck sunk in France with a loss of 2300 lives.
- 1945 - Lead ship in 76 vessel Atlantic convoy hits iceberg; 22 other ships run into each other.
- 1958 - DeGaulle acclaimed Savior of France.
- 1993 - Mafia or terrorists explode bomb outside Uffizi Gallery in Florence; 5 dead, priceless art destroyed.
- 1998 - United Nations indicts Slobodan Milosevic as a war criminal. (finally jailed on 06/28/01)
- 2011 - Solar Impulse, the first solar plane to fly around the world, lands in Brussels after a 12 hour, 59 minute flight.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Julius of Durostorum
- Kaigun-Kinenbi (Navy Memorial Day) in Japan
- Dragon Boat Festival - Taiwan
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- PROCESSION OF THE HOLY BLOOD in Belgium on first Monday after May 2.
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- ASCENSION DAY (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTACOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- I'D AL-HAJJ, Muslim Festival
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- BUDDHA PURNIMA, Hindu Festival, celebrated early May
- GANGA DASSHERA, Hindu Festival, celebrated end of May
- ARMED FORCES DAY in US - third Saturday in May
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in US - first Thursday in May
- NATIONAL DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION DAY - third Friday in May in US
- NATIONAL TEACHER'S DAY - Tuesday in the first full week in May in US
- VICTORIA DAY - first Monday before May 25, celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in Canada
- WESAK FESTIVAL celebrated in the eastern hemisphere at the Taurus full moon, beginning of May
- GOODWILL FESTIVAL celebrated at the Gemini full moon, end of May
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...