Born On This Day:
- Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman), 1774
- Ivan Pavlov, 1849
- T. S. Eliot, 1888
- Pope Paul VI, 1897
- George Gershwin, 1898
- Jack LaLanne, 1914
- Marty Robbins, 1925
- Julie London, 1926
- Patrick O'Neal, 1927
- Bryan Ferry, 1945
- Olivia Newton-John, 1948
- Serena Williams, 1981
Died On This Day:
- Daniel Boone, 1820
- Levi Strauss, 1902
- Bessie Smith killed, 1937
- Bela Bartok, 1945
- Hugh Lofting, 1947
- George Santayana, 1952
- Helen Kane, 1966
- Anna Magnani, 1973
- Alberto Moravia, 1990
- Richard Mulligan, 2000
- Robert Palmer, 2003
- Paul Newman, 2008
- Arthur Penn, 2010
- Jacques Chirac, 2019
- 1580 - Sir Francis Drake's Golden Hind returns to England after circumnavigating globe.
- 1777 - British capture Philadelphia.
- 1789 - George Washington appoints first U.S. Attorney General-Edmund Jennings Randolph.
- 1815 - Emperors of Prussia and Austria form Holy Alliance.
- 1871 - Process for making cement patented by inventor David Oliver Saylor of Allentown, PA.
- 1887 - Gramophone patented by Emile Berliner in Washington D.C.
- 1934 - Cunard Line's luxury liner Queen Mary launched.
- 1955 - Extinction of Euler's Flycatcher; last two surviving birds killed in hurricane in Jamaica.
- 1957 - 'West Side Story' premieres in New York.
- 1959 - Typhoon Vera hits Japan near Honshu; 4,466 die.
- 1960 - First presidential candidate television debate between Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy.
- 1968 - Theatre censorship ends in Britain; the US musical Hair opens tomorrow with nude characters.
- 1971 - Hirohito becomes first Japanese emperor to travel outside own country; meets President Nixon in Alaska.
- 1983 - Longest winning streak in sports history broken; America's Cup lost to Australian yachtsmen.
- 1985 - Shamu, first killer whale born in captivity to survive, born at Sea World, Orlando Florida.
- 2008 - Washington Mutual files for bankruptcy.
- 2008 - Swiss pilot Yves Rossy becomes first person to fly solo across English Channel strapped to a single jet-propelled wing.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Cyprian and Justina
- the Martyrs of North America
- Nilus of Rossano
- Dominion Day New Zealand (1907)
- Independence Day in Yemen Arab Republic
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...