Born On This Day:
- Victor Hugo, 1802
- Levi Strauss, 1829
- William F. Cody (Buffalo Bill), 1846
- Grover Cleveland Alexander, 1887
- Madeleine Carroll, 1906
- Robert Alda, 1914
- Jackie Gleason, 1916
- Tony Randall, 1920
- Betty Hutton, 1921
- Margaret Leighton, 1922
- Fats Domino, 1928
- Johnny Cash, 1932
- Sir James Goldsmith, 1933
- Brian Jones, 1944
Died On This Day:
- Richard Jordan Gatling, 1903
- Sir Harry Lauder, 1950
- W. R. Inge, 1954
- Lou Costello, 1959
- Karl Jaspers, 1969
- Fernandel, 1971
- Roy Eldridge, 1989
- Fletcher Knebel, 1993
- 747 BC - Era of Nabonassar begins, the basis of all calculations of Ptolemy.
- 1616 - Galileo ordered to renounce support of Copernicus's heliocentrism theory by Pope Paul V at inquest.
- 1797 - First £1 and £2 bank notes issued in England.
- 1815 - Napoleon escapes from exile in Elba and marches into Paris before final defeat at Waterloo.
- 1848 - 2nd French republic proclaimed.
- 1848 - Communist Manifesto first published.
- 1876 - China declares Korea to be an independent state.
- 1891 - Henrik Ibsen's scandalous play 'Hedda Gabler' premieres in Oslo.
- 1895 - Michael Joseph Owens of Toledo, Ohio patents the glass-blowing machine.
- 1916 - French ship Province sinks with 3,100 lives lost.
- 1919 - Grand Canyon voted national park status by Congress.
- 1935 - Radar (radio detection and ranging) first demonstrated at Daventry England by Robert Watson-Watt.
- 1936 - First Volkswagen Beetle comes off assembly line in Fallersleben, Saxony; Designed by F. Porsche.
- 1951 - 22nd Amendment to U.S. Constitution limits Presidency to two terms.
- 1951 - 'From Here to Eternity,' novel by James Jones published; first book in America to use F word.
- 1993 - World Trade Center in New York City bombed by Egyptian terrorists; 6 dead, 1,000 injured.
- 1995 - Britain's oldest merchant bank, Barings plc, collapses; Nick Leeson made billion $ mistake.
- 2003 - After 31 yrs, Pioneer 10 loses contact with earth from 7.6 billion miles away. Next stop Aldabaran.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Independence Day in Antigua and Barbuda
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- PRESIDENT'S DAY 3rd Monday in February observing births of Washington & Lincoln
- SHROVE TUESDAY (or Fat Tuesday). Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fasnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany and Austria, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S., Street Urchins' Carnival in Denmark & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring and Vernal Fire)
- HOLA MOHALLA, Sikh Festival celebrated in India
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- MAHA SHIVARATRI, Hindu Festival of the Night of Shiva, celebrated mid-February
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- CHINESE NEW YEAR celebrated all over the world in February
- SUPER BOWL SUNDAY - first Sunday in February from 2004
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...