Born On This Day:
- Domenico Scarlatti, 1685
- Beryl Markham, 1902
- Primo Carnera, 1906
- Mahalia Jackson, 1911
- Hugh, Lord Scanlon, 1913
- Jackie Coogan, 1914
- François Mitterrand, 1916
- Shah Mohammad Pahlavi of Iran, 1919
- Bob Hoskins, 1942
- Ivan Reitman, 1946
- Pat Sajak, 1946
- Hillary Rodham Clinton, 1947
- Jaclyn Smith, 1947
- Julian Schnabel, 1951
Died On This Day:
- William Hogarth, 1764
- Prince Ito assassinated, 1909
- Baron Corvo, 1913
- Igor Sikorsky, 1972
- William S. Paley, 1990
- 1785 - First two mules arrive in America at Boston from Spain for George Washington.
- 1825 - Erie Canal opens to traffic connecting Great Lakes and Hudson River; first U.S man-made waterway.
- 1834 - Hansom Safety cab patented.
- 1860 - G. Garibaldi meets Victor Emmanuel and proclaims him King of Italy.
- 1863 - Football Association formed in England (Soccer). (11 players on a side standardized 1870.)
- 1881 - Gunfight at O.K. Corral, the last old-west shoot-out occurs at Tombstone, AZ; Earps vs. Clantons
- 1905 - Workers in St. Petersburg form first Soviet.
- 1905 - Sweden and Norway's union ends; Prince Charles of Denmark ascends Norway throne as Haakon VII.
- 1918 - Czech independence proclaimed.
- 1955 - Village Voice newspaper starts publication in New York.
- 1956 - Atomic Energy Commission approved by United Nations.
- 1965 - 'The Royal Hunt of the Sun' opens on Broadway at the ANTA Theatre.
- 1965 - Beatles receive MBE from Queen Elizabeth.
- 1970 - 'Doonesbury' comic strip by Gary Trudeau appears for the first time.
- 1974 - Largest theft of cash in history-Thieves get $4.3 million from Puralator Security in Chicago.
- 1979 - Ken Fraser catches the world record bluefin Tuna weighing 1,496 lbs. off Aulds Cove, Nova Scotia.
- 1979 - In Nairobi, World Health Organization announces eradication worldwide of smallpox.
- 1984 - 'Baby Fae' age 12 days old given heart of a baboon in Loma Linda, CA; dies 21 days later.
- 1993 - Fire infernos break out in five S. Calif. counties; destroy over 1,000 homes; $500 million damage
- 1994 - Israel PM Yitzhak Rabin and PM Abdel Salam Majali of Jordan sign peace treaty; Bill Clinton attends ceremony.
- 2028 - 6:30pm GMT - asteroid named 1997 XF11 will pass 'dangerously' close to earth; 30,000 miles?
Feast Day of Saint:
- Lucian and Marcian
- Rusticus of Narbonne
- National Day celebrated in Austria, Deepavali in India, Malaysia and Singapore
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...