Born On This Day:
- Charles XIV Sweden & Norway, 1763
- Gen. Douglas MacArthur, 1880
- Maria Von Trapp, 1905
- Stéphane Grappelli, 1908
- Jimmy Van Heusen, 1913
- Nicolae Ceausescu, 1918
- Akio Morita, 1921
- Paul Newman, 1925
- Eartha Kitt, 1928
- Roger Vadim, 1928
- Jules Feiffer, 1929
- Bob Uecker, 1935
- Scott Glenn, 1942
- Angela Davis, 1944
- Jacqueline Du Pre, 1945
- Gene Siskel, 1946
- Christopher Hampton, 1946
- Eddie Van Halen, 1957
- Ellen DeGeneres, 1958
- Wayne Gretzky, 1961
Died On This Day:
- Dr. Edward Jenner, 1824
- General Charles Gordon killed, 1885
- Abner Doubleday, 1893
- Charles 'Lucky' Luciano, 1962
- Nelson Rockefeller, 1979
- Paul 'Bear' Bryant, 1983
- Lord Harlech, 1985
- Lewis Mumford, 1990
- José Ferrer, 1992
- Hugh Trevor Roper, 2003
- Mike Connors, 2017
- 1340 - English King Edward III proclaims himself King of France.
- 1695 - Pirate Captain Kidd invents Workers Compensation, gives pieces of eight to injured crew.
- 1788 - First British convicts settle in Australia after deciding that Port Jackson (now Sydney) is better than Botany Bay.
- 1802 - Napoleon becomes President of Italian Republic
- 1837 - Michigan 26th state admitted to Union.
- 1838 - Tennessee outlaws all bars and saloons in first statewide attempt at prohibition.
- 1841 - British sovereignty over Hong Kong proclaimed.
- 1861 - Louisiana seceded from Union.
- 1875 - The electric dentists drill patented by inventor George F. Green of Kalamazoo, MI.
- 1885 - Mahdi Troops capture Khartoum.
- 1905 - Discovery of Cullinan Diamond, 3106 carats, by Capt. M.F. Wells at Pretoria, South Africa.
- 1926 - John Logie Baird gives earliest demo of TV at in Frith St. Soho, London for 50 scientists.
- 1939 - Barcelona falls to Spanish Nationalists under Franco.
- 1949 - First test photograph at Mt. Palomar observatory.
- 1950 - India proclaimed a Republic within the British Commonwealth.
- 1968 - Giant bank merger in Britain; National Provincial and Westminster become Natwest.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Republic Day in India (1950)
- Birth of Duarte celebrated in Dominican Republic
- Australia Day
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...