Born On This Day:
- Ivan the Terrible, first Czar Russia,, 1530
- King Ludwig I Bavaria, 1786
- Allan Pinkerton, 1819
- Bret Harte, 1836
- King Ludwig II Bavaria, 1845
- Bill Nye, 1850
- Ruby Keeler, 1909
- Walt Kelly, 1913
- Van Johnson, 1916
- Mel Ferrer, 1917
- Don DeFore, 1917
- Leonard Bernstein, 1918
- George Wallace, 1919
- Brian Moore, 1921
- Monte Hall, 1923
- Sean Connery, 1930
- Tom Skerrit, 1933
- Regis Philbin, 1934
- Frederick Forsyth, 1938
- Anne Archer, 1947
- Martin Amis, 1949
- Gene Simmons, 1949
- Elvis Costello, 1954
- Claudia Schiffer, 1971
Died On This Day:
- Louis IX (Saint Louis) King of France, 1270
- Queen Margaret of Anjou, 1482
- Sir Henry Morgan, 1688
- James Watt, 1819
- Sir William Herschel, 1822
- Michael Faraday, 1867
- Friedrich Nietzsche, 1900
- Prince George Duke of Kent killed, 1942
- Alfred Kinsey, 1956
- George Lincoln Rockwell killed, 1967
- Paul Muni, 1967
- Stan Kenton, 1979
- Gower Champion, 1980
- Truman Capote, 1984
- William Warfield, 2002
- Edward M. Kennedy, 2009
- Neil Armstrong, 2012
- John McCain, 2018
- 1609 - Galileo takes a few of Venice's leaders up to the city's tallest bell tower and shows them his telescope.
- 1718 - City of New Orleans founded and named in honor of the Duke of Orleans in France.
- 1768 - Captain James Cook sets sail on first voyage of discovery.
- 1830 - Belgian revolution against Kingdom of Netherlands.
- 1831 - The 'bed spring' patented by Josiah French of Ware, Mass.
- 1835 - Great Moon Hoax launched in New York Sun alleging that British astronomer Sir John Herschel detected four billion people, oceans, beaches and fantastic animals on moon.
- 1837 - Henry William Crawford patents process for producing galvanized iron.
- 1875 - Matthew Webb, 27, British merchant navy captain, lands in Calais having become the first known person to swim the English Channel.
- 1914 - Japan declares war on Austria, WW1.
- 1916 - National Park Service founded in America.
- 1919 - Daily air service between London and Paris inaugurated.
- 1928 - Admiral Byrd's Antarctic Expedition leaves New York City on way to South Pole.
- 1944 - Paris liberated by U.S. and French troops ending 4 years of German occupation; De Gaulle enters city.
- 1966 - Orbiter-1 transmits first photo of Earth as seen from Moon.
- 1986 - 1500 killed by cloud of toxic gas from volcanic lake in Cameroon, western Africa.
- 1991 - Linus Torvalds, a student at University of Helsinki, reveals he is working on Linux Operating System.
- 2017 - Tropical storm Harvey becomes Category 4 hurricane and slams into Rockport, TX and Houston; 60 to die, up to $60 billion in damages.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Genesius of Arles
- Louis of France (died today in 1270)
- Genesius the Actor
- Gregory of Utrecht
- Independence Day Uruguay (1825)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...