Born On This Day:
- John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, 1340
- Robert Dudley Earl of Leicester, 1532
- Saint John of the Cross, 1542
- Henry Ward Beecher, 1813
- Ambrose Bierce, 1842
- Lord Kitchener, 1850
- Jack Dempsey, 1895
- Chief Dan George, 1899
- Norman Cousins, 1915
- Sir Fred Hoyle, 1915
- John Ciardi, 1916
- Jack Carter, 1922
- Claude Chabrol, 1930
- Michele Lee, 1942
- Jeff Beck, 1944
- Mick Fleetwood, 1948
- Alfred Molina, 1953
Died On This Day:
- Emperor Vitellius, AD 79
- King Ferdinand I Castile & Leon, 1065
- Lucrezia Borgia, 1519
- Mary Tudor, 1533
- Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford, 1604
- Grover Cleveland, 1908
- Tony Hancock, suicide, 1968
- Jackie Gleason, 1987
- Paul Winchell, 2005
- Eli Wallach, 2014
- 1204 - Philip II (the bastard) and his forces take Rouen, capital of Normandy, which becomes French again.
- 1314 - Battle of Bannockburn fought between Scots and English. Scots win under Robert the Bruce.
- 1340 - Battle of Sluys-English fleet defeats French (First major engagement of 100 years war).
- 1497 - John Cabot reaches North American shore.
- 1675 - King Philip's War begins; colonists at Plymouth massacred by Indians under Wampanoag leader Philip.
- 1812 - Napoleon invades Russia.
- 1859 - Austria defeated by France and Sardinia in Battle of Solferino. 14,000 killed/wounded.
- 1881 - First photograph taken of a comet by A.A. Common in England and H. Draper in USA.
- 1901 - Spanish artist Pablo Picasso opens first exhibit in Paris at Ambroise Vollard gallery.
- 1940 - Republican Convention in Philly is first to be televised. Wendell Wilkie nominated.
- 1947 - First reported sighting of an unidentified flying object (UFO).
- 1948 - Russian blockade of Berlin begins; Stalin stops West's access; huge airlift of food begins.
- 1956 - Col. Gamal Abdul Nasser elected president of Egypt.
- 1989 - Warner Brothers movie 'Batman.' grosses $14.6 million in one day-a record.
- 1997 - World record for watercolor painting - Van Gogh's 'La Moisson en Provence' 1888 sells for $8 mil.
- 1997 - US Air Force reports the 'Roswell Incident' alien bodies were really life-sized dummies. See 7/5/47
- 2002 - Nymphease - Monet's 'Water Lilies' - sells for £13.48 million at Sotheby's-short of £18m '98 record.
- 2010 - Longest match in tennis history at Wimbledon: John Isner (US) beats Nicolas Mahut (FR) in 11hrs 5 minutes over 3 days; final set 70-68.
- 2010 - Welsh coalminer's daughter Julia Gillard becomes first woman Prime Minister of Australia following resignation of Kevin Rudd.
- 2016 - Biggest worldwide daily market loss in history - $2.08 trillion wiped off global equity markets because of Brexit vote; Dow down -610, 10th worst in history.
- 2016 - British voters choose Brexit (to withdraw from EU), announced by the BBC at 4:00 a.m.; Leave vote wins 52% over 48% to stay.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Macau Day celebrates St. John, patron saint of Macau
- Midsummer Day
- Saint John's Day celebrated in Mexico, Norway, etc.
- Izonomiya Otane Shinji rice planting festival in Japan
- St. Baptiste Day celebrated in French Canada
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...