Born On This Day:
- King John, 1167
- St. Ignatius Loyola, 1491
- Benjamin Rush, 1746
- Kit Carson, 1809
- Matthew Arnold, 1822
- King George I Greece, 1845
- Emanuel Lasker, 1868
- Louis Jouvet, 1887
- Michael Curtiz, 1898
- Howard Hughes, 1905
- I.F. Stone, 1907
- Ava Gardner, 1922
- Mary Higggins Clark, 1929
- Robert Joffrey, 1930
- Jill Bennett, 1931
- Mike Curb, 1944
- Nick Meyer, 1945
- Ricky Martin, 1971
Died On This Day:
- Vasco da Gama, 1524
- William Makepeace Thackeray, 1863
- John Muir, 1914
- Norma Talmadge, 1957
- Louis Aragon, 1982
- Peter Lawford, 1984
- Norman Vincent Peale, 1993
- Rossano Brazzi, 1994
- John Osborne, 1994
- Toshiro Mifune, 1997
- Harold Pinter, 2008
- Cheeta (the Chimp), 2011
- Charles Durning, 2012
- Jack Klugman, 2012
- Richard Adams, 2016
- 1492 - Columbus's ship Santa Maria wrecked on north coast of Hispaniola where some sailors stayed.
- 1814 - Treaty of Ghent ends War of 1812 between U.S. and Britain.
- 1818 - 'Silent Night,' the Christmas Carol, first performed by choir and guitar in Salzburg, Austria.
- 1851 - Library of Congress burns in major fire which destroyed over 50% of entire collection.
- 1865 - Ku Klux Klan founded in Pulaski, Tennessee.
- 1871 - 'Aida' by Giuseppe Verdi premieres at the Cairo Opera House.
- 1877 - Edison files for a patent on his phonograph which is granted on February 19, 1878.
- 1888 - Mad painter Vincent Van Gogh cuts off left ear and gives it to a prostitute; or did Gauguin cut him?
- 1889 - Bicycle with back-pedal brake patented by Daniel Stover & William Hance of Freeport, Ill.
- 1906 - First radio program including Handel's Massiah broadcast by Reginald Fessenden at Brant Rock, MA.
- 1916 - Jules Verne's '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' opens in NY.
- 1920 - Govt. of Ireland Act passed partitioning country into 6 counties of N. Eire, and 26 of Southern.
- 1922 - First ever radio play, The Truth about Father Christmas, broadcast from BBC Newcastle, England.
- 1951 - Kingdom of Libya achieves Independence from Italy under King Idris;
- 1979 - Soviet forces invade Afghanistan.
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...