Born On This Day:
- Augustus Caesar, 63 BC
- King Ferdinand VI Spain, 1713
- Walter Lippmann, 1889
- Walter Pidgeon, 1897
- Tom C. Clark, 1899
- Louise Nevelson, 1900
- Mickey Rooney, 1920
- John Coltrane, 1926
- Ray Charles, 1930
- Romy Schneider, 1938
- Julio Iglesias, 1943
- Mary Kay Place, 1947
- Bruce Springsteen, 1949
- Cherie Blair, 1954
- Ani DeFranco, 1970
Died On This Day:
- King Wenceslas I Bohemia, 1253
- Sigmund Freud, 1939
- Pablo Neruda, 1973
- Lyman Bostock, 1978
- Bob Fosse, 1987
- Carl Rowan, 2000
- 490 BC - Battle of marathon between invading Persians and victorious Athenians. Soldier Phidipipides runs 26 miles to Athens to announce victory.
- 1779 - John Paul Jones defeats British man-of-war in War of Independence; 'I have not yet begun to fight.'
- 1780 - Plot of Benedict Arnold to betray Americans exposed.
- 1817 - Spain ends slave trade by treaty with Britain.
- 1845 - Alexander Joy Cartwright organizes world's first baseball team, the Knickerbocker Club.
- 1846 - Planet Neptune, eighth planet from the sun, first spotted by Berlin astronomers Galle and Le Verrier.
- 1896 - Queen Victoria becomes longest reigning British monarch beating George III's 59 years 3 months.
- 1912 - First Keystone Cops one reel movie comedy premieres.
- 1913 - French aviator Roland Garros is first to fly Mediterranean non-stop; longest flight ever over sea.
- 1926 - Gene Tunney outpoints Jack Dempsey at Philadelphia to become world heavyweight boxing champ.
- 1930 - Photo flashbulbs patented.
- 1952 - VP candidate Richard Nixon's 'Checkers speech' rebuts allegations of bad campaign financing.
- 1952 - Rocky Marciano KO's Jersey Joe Walcott in 13th at Philly to become Heavyweight Champ.
- 1975 - President Gerald Ford target of 2nd unsuccessful assassination attempt in San Francisco.
- 1986 - Congress approves the rose as America's national flower.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Thecla of Iconium
- Independence Day Saudi Arabia (1932)
- Shuki-Korei-Sai (Festival of the Equinox) in Japan
- Chinese Festival of Fo
- Zodiac: Virgo ends, Libra begins
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...