Born On This Day:
- James Gibbons, 1834
- Raymond Chandler, 1888
- Haile Selassie, 1892
- Marston Bates, 1906
- Michael Wilding, 1912
- Coral Browne, 1913
- Carl Foreman, 1914
- Gloria DeHaven, 1925
- Bert Convey, 1935
- Don Drysdale, 1936
- David Essex, 1947
- Graham Gooch, 1953
- Woody Harrelson, 1961
- Philip Seymour Hoffman, 1967
- Gary Payton, 1968
- Monica Lewinsky, 1973
- Judit Polgar, 1976
- Daniel Radcliffe, 1989
Died On This Day:
- Domenico Scarlatti, 1757
- Isaac Singer, 1875
- Ulysses S. Grant, 1885
- D.W. Griffith, 1948
- Marshall Henri-Philippe Pétain, 1951
- Montgomery Clift, 1966
- Van Heflin, 1971
- Eddie Rickenbacker, 1973
- Vic Morrow, 1982
- Kay Kyser, 1985
- Jessica Mitford, 1996
- King Hassan of Morocco, 1999
- Leo McKern, 2002
- Chaim Potok, 2002
- Amy Winehouse, 2011
- Sally Ride, 2012
- 1827 - First U. S. swimming school opens in Boston; John Quincy Adams and James Audubon take plunge.
- 1829 - W.A. Burt of Mount Vernon, Michigan patents his version of the typewriter.
- 1903 - Ford Motor Company of Detroit sells its first car - a 2 cylinder Model A. (Model T starts 1908).
- 1904 - Charles E. Menches of St. Louis invents the ice cream cone.
- 1937 - Yale University School of Medicine announces the isolation of the pituitary hormone.
- 1947 - Actors' Studio founded in New York; 3 years later Lee Strasberg joins and discovers method acting.
- 1967 - Race riots in Detroit, worst in U.S. history, kill 43 and cause $200 million in damages over 5 days.
- 1968 - R.F. Worley becomes America's first General killed in action in Vietnam.
- 1974 - Greek military junta resigns.
- 1982 - Diet Coke introduced by Coca-Cola.
- 1982 - Vic Morrow and 2 Vietnamese children killed by helicopter on 'Twilight Zone' movie set.
- 1985 - $13.1 million paid for racehorse - yearling son of Najinsky II and My Charmer.
- 1986 - Prince Andrew marries Sarah Ferguson with 300 million people watching on television.
- 1998 - Scientists at University of Hawaii announce mammal cloning - 3 generations of mice - in Nature.
- 2000 - Tiger Woods, 24, becomes youngest golfer in history to win all four major championships.
Feast Day of Saint:
- National Day in Egypt (1952)
- Zodiac: Cancer ends, Leo begins
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...