Born On This Day:
- Saint John of Matha, 1160
- Empress Josephine, 1763
- Irvin S. Cobb, 1876
- Alfred Kinsey, 1894
- Edward VIII Duke of Windsor, 1894
- Jean Anouilh, 1910
- David Ogilvy, 1911
- Alan Turing, 1912
- Irene Worth, 1916
- Bob Fosse, 1927
- Ted Lapidus, 1929
- June Carter Cash, 1929
- Larry Tucker, 1934
- Adam Faith, 1940
- James Levine, 1943
- Clarence Thomas, 1948
- Frances McDormand, 1957
- Zinedine Zidane, 1972
Died On This Day:
- Henry Hudson presumed killed, 1611
- James Mill, 1836
- William S. Hart, 1946
- Jonas Salk, 1995
- Maynard Holbrook Jackson, 2003
- Aaron Spelling, 2006
- Ed McMahon, 2009
- Peter Falk, 2011
- Dick van Patten, 2015
- 1683 - William Penn signs peace treaty with Indians.
- 1757 - British East India Co. under Robert Clive victorious over the Nawab of Bengal in the Battle of Plassey; Company rule in India established leading to British domination in South Asia.
- 1793 - Reign of terror begins in France.
- 1845 - Congress of the Republic of Texas agrees to be annexed by US.
- 1848 - Adolphe Sax granted patent on his invention, the saxophone.
- 1860 - U.S. Secret Service created under Treasury Department.
- 1868 - 'Typewriter' patented by Christopher Latham Sholes; prototype later sold to Remington.
- 1886 - Bonaparte and Orleans families banished from France.
- 1947 - Taft Hartley act passed; stops unions from closed shops and unconditional strike rights.
- 1951 - British spies McLean and Burgess flee to USSR.
- 1952 - U.S. bombs Korean electric plants.
- 1956 - General Nasser elected President of Egypt.
- 1985 - Sikh extremists bomb Air India jumbo jet over the Atlantic SW of Ireland; record 329 dead.
- 1991 - AIDS victim is 900th person to commit suicide by jumping off San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.
- 1993 - After 8 years in attic isolation Dr. Andrew Wiles proves 350 year-old Fermat's Last Theorem.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Joseph Cafasso
- Etheldreda (or Audrey)
- Midsummer Night
- Summer Solstice celebrated in Germany
- St. John's Eve in Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, etc.
- National Holiday in Luxembourg celebrating Independence & birth of Royal Grand Duke.
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...