Born On This Day:
- Paul Morphy, 1837
- Julian Huxley, 1887
- Erich Maria Remarque, 1898
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1906
- Billy Wilder, 1906
- Gower Champion, 1919
- Joseph Papp, 1921
- Bill Blass, 1922
- Prunella Scales, 1932
- Diane Feinstein, 1933
- Kris Kristofferson, 1936
- Esther Rantzen, 1940
- Ed Bradley, 1941
- Klaus Maria Brandauer, 1944
- Todd Rundgren, 1948
- Lindsay Wagner, 1949
- Meryl Streep, 1949
- Freddie Prinze, 1954
Died On This Day:
- King Roger I Sicily, 1101
- Pope Innocent V, 1276
- Nicolo Machiavelli, 1527
- Saint John Fisher, 1535
- Howard Staunton, 1874
- David O. Selznick, 1965
- Judy Garland OD, 1969
- Darius Milhaud, 1974
- Joseph Losey, 1984
- Fred Astaire, 1987
- Dennis Day, 1988
- M. F. K. Fisher, 1992
- Pat Nixon, 1993
- Maureen O'Sullivan, 1998
- Ann Landers, 2002
- George Carlin, 2008
- 168 BC - Romans under Lucius Paullus victorious over Macedonia in Battle of Pydna in Third Macedonian War.
- 1377 - 10 year-old Richard II succeeds his grandfather, Edward III, who died yesterday, as king of England.
- 1633 - Galileo forced to confess falsehood of Copernican Theory because heretical.
- 1675 - Greenwich Royal Observatory created by Royal warrant.
- 1815 - Second abdication of Napoleon; Banished to St. Helena.
- 1870 - Department of Justice created by U.S. Congress.
- 1922 - The 'helicopter' first displayed by Henry Adler Berliner of Maryland.
- 1933 - Social Democrat Party suppressed in Germany.
- 1937 - Joe Louis knocks out James Braddock in eighth round at Chicago for heavyweight boxing title.
- 1940 - Hitler victory - forces France to sign an armistice eight days after German forces ovverun Paris.
- 1941 - Germany invades Russia at 4:00 a.m. with 148 divisions, 3,350 tanks, and 3 million troops. WWII.
- 1945 - Battle of Okinawa ends; Japan surrenders having lost over 100,000 troops. WWII
- 1970 - Voting age in U.S. lowered to 18 years.
- 1970 - World record rainbow trout weighing 42.2 lbs caught off Bell Island, Arkansas by David Robert White.
- 1988 - Disney's 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' opens starring Bob Hoskins; to gross over $150 million.
- 2009 - Kodak takes kodachrome color film off the market after 74 years; digital digs film's grave.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Nicetas of Remesiana
- Paulinus of Nola (died today A.D. 431)
- Summer Solstice in Leap years
- Zodiac: Gemini ends, Cancer begins
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...