Born On This Day:
- Jean Racine (baptized), 1639
- Benjamin Disraeli, 1804
- Giacomo Puccini, 1858
- Connie Mack, 1862
- Edgard Varese, 1883
- J. Arthur Rank, 1888
- Andre Kostelanetz, 1901
- Kenneth Rexroth, 1905
- Dame Peggy Ashcroft, 1907
- Lady Bird Johnson, 1912
- Gene Rayburn, 1917
- Milton Katseles, 1933
- Hector Elizondo, 1936
- Diane Sawyer, 1945
- Steve Garvey, 1948
- Robin & Maurice Gibb, 1949
- Ralph Fiennes, 1962
Died On This Day:
- Saint Francis Xavier, 1552
- Theodore Rousseau, 1867
- George Eliot, 1880
- Baron Richard von Krafft-Ebing, 1902
- Frances X. Cabrini, 1917
- Ma Rainey, 1939
- Nathaniel West killed, 1940
- Beatrix Potter, 1943
- Josef von Sternberg, 1969
- Darryl F. Zanuck, 1979
- Samuel Beckett, 1989
- Butterfly McQueen, 1995
- Joe Cocker, 2014
- 1808 - First performance of Beethoven's Fifth and Sixth Symphonies together in Vienna.
- 1849 - Socialist activist Fyodor Dostoevsky, receives last-minute reprive from firing squad; goes on to write "Crime and Punishment."
- 1877 - Thomas Alva Edison brings new device to Scientific American, gives demo of his tin foil phonograph.
- 1882 - Thomas Alva Edison's friend, Ed Johnson, turns on first electrically lighted Christmas tree.
- 1894 - U.S. Golf Association (USGA) formed to standardize rules of game.
- 1894 - Framed Alfred Dreyfus convicted of treason by a French court-martial and sent to Devil's Island.
- 1895 - Willhelm von Rontgen makes first radiograph or X-ray of his wife's hand.
- 1941 - Japanese conquer Wake Island after 15 day battle against 400 U.S. Marines. WWII
- 1946 - Mafia convention at Hotel Nacional, Havana, Cuba; mob decides to eliminate Bugsy Siegel whose Las Vegas Hotel sinks them deep in debt.
- 1956 - First gorilla born in captivity at Columbus, Ohio Zoo; weight 3.5 lbs, named 'Colo.'
- 1964 - James Bond film 'Goldfinger' opens. Grosses $23 million.
- 1984 - Bigoted vigilante Bernhard Goetz shoots four Black teenage boys on New York subway train.
- 1989 - Uprising in Romania; evil murdering Communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu overthrown.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini
- Day of Rahilla son of Buddha
- Zodiac: Sagittarius ends, Capricornus begins
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...