Born On This Day:
- Richard Plantagenet Duke of York, 1411
- Philippe I, Duke of Orleans, 1640
- Louis Jolliet, 1645
- H. G. Wells, 1866
- Gustav Holst, 1874
- Ladislas Farago, 1906
- Dawn Addams, 1930
- Larry Hagman, 1931
- Leonard Cohen, 1934
- Henry Gibson, 1935
- Jerry Bruckheimer, 1945
- Stephen King, 1947
- Florence Griffith Joyner, 1959
- Rob Morrow, 1962
- Faith Hill, 1967
Died On This Day:
- Virgil, 19 BC
- King Edward II murdered, 1327
- Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, 1558
- Sir Walter Scott, 1832
- Arthur Schopenhauer, 1860
- Walter Brennan, 1974
- Jacqueline Susann, 1974
- Florence Griffith-Joyner, 1998
- 1599 - First written record of a performance of a Shakespeare play at the Globe Theatre - probably Julius Caesar.
- 1745 - Bonnie Prince Charlie defeats British Army at Battle of Prestonpans.
- 1784 - America's first daily newspaper, The Pennsylvania Packet, first issued.
- 1792 - Era of the French Republic begins.
- 1895 - Duryea Motor Wagon Co. is first auto company to be incorporated-in Springfield, Mass.
- 1903 - First Western movie opens in US - Kit Carson.
- 1915 - Stonehenge and 30 surrounding acres sold at auction to Mr. C.H. Chubb who later gave it to the nation.
- 1937 - J.R.R. Tokien's "The Hobbit" published in England by Allen and Unwin.
- 1938 - Hurricane causes $1 billion damage to NY, CT, RI, MA, VT-600 dead.
- 1949 - Federal Republic of Germany formally begins.
- 1981 - Sandra Day O'Connor confirmed by U.S. Senate 95-0 as first female justice of the Supreme Court.
- 1989 - Eight billion dollar damaging Hurricane Hugo batters Charleston, SC after trashing Virgin Islands.
- 2013 - At noon Al-Shabab terrorists enter upscale Westgate mall in Nairobi and begin shooting innocent people; 62 killed, 175 injured.
- 2030 - Small asteroid-like object, designated 2000 SG344 may hit the earth and wipe out millions.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Independence Day Belize (1981), Malta (1964)
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...