Born On This Day:
- Philip II Augustus (France), 1165
- Saint Francis de Sales, 1567
- King William IV, 1765
- Aubrey Beardsley, 1872
- 'Count Basie', 1904
- Friz Freleng, 1906
- Princess Margaret, 1930
- Melvin Van Peebles, 1932
- Wilt Chamberlain, 1936
- Kenny Rogers, 1938
- Jackie DeShannon, 1944
- Patty McCormick, 1945
- Kim Cattrall, 1956
- Steve Case, 1958
- Jim McMahon, 1959
Died On This Day:
- Leon Trotsky succumbs to assassination, 1940
- Jacob Epstein, 1959
- Charles Eames, 1978
- Benigno 'Ninoy' Aquino murdered, 1983
- Robert A. Moog, 2005
- 1821 - Saturday Evening Post first published.
- 1831 - Black slave-prophet Nat Turner launches rebellion in VA leaving 50 Whites and 120 Blacks dead.
- 1841 - John Hampson of New Orleans patents the venetian blind.
- 1856 - The Charter Oak in Hartford , where Connecticut colonial charter hidden in 1687, falls to ground.
- 1858 - Lincoln Douglas debates begin in Illinois.
- 1858 - Sam Browne of the 2nd Punjab Cavalry invents the belt that would bear his name.
- 1878 - American Bar Association organized in Saratoga, NY.
- 1888 - William Seward Burroughs of St. Louis, MO. patents his version of the adding machine.
- 1903 - Model F. Packard arrives in N.Y. after 52 days on road from S.F.
- 1912 - Boy Scouts of America name first Eagle Scout-Arthur Rose Eldred of Oceanside LI, NY.
- 1950 - Althea Gibson admitted to U.S. Lawn Tennis Assn.; will become first Black to compete.
- 1959 - Hawaii becomes 50th state admitted to Union.
- 1968 - Soviet troops and tanks continue their push into Czechoslovakia.
- 1991 - Coup in Soviet Union fails; Gorbachev freed and returned to power in Moscow.
- 1996 - The new Globe Theatre opens in London the inspiration of the late American actor Sam Wanamaker.
- 2013 - Government of Syria attacks civilians with chemical weapons; 1,400+ dead including 400 children.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Jane Frances de Chantal
- Abraham of Smolensk
- Sidonius Apollinaris
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...