Born On This Day:
- Saint/Pope Leo IX, 1002
- Martha Washington, 1721
- Al Hirschfeld, 1903
- Jean-Paul Sartre, 1905
- Mary McCarthy, 1912
- Jane Russell, 1921
- Judy Holliday, 1922
- Maureen Stapleton, 1925
- Françoise Sagan, 1935
- Mariette Hartley, 1940
- Ray Davies, 1944
- Michael Gross, 1947
- Meredith Baxter-Birney, 1947
- Ian McEwan, 1948
- Nils Lofgren, 1951
- Benazir Bhutto, 1953
- Juliette Lewis, 1973
- Prince William of Wales, Duke of Cambridge, 1982
- Rebecca Black, 1997
Died On This Day:
- King Wenceslas II Bohemia, 1305
- King Edward III, 1377
- Machiavelli, 1527
- John Smith (VA), 1631
- Inigo Jones, 1652
- Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, 1876
- Leland Stanford, 1893
- Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov, 1908
- Mickey Schwerner, Andrew Goodman, James Chaney, 1964
- 'Little Mo' Maureen Connolly, 1969
- President Sukarno, 1970
- Frank Leahy, 1973
- Carroll O'Connor, 2001
- George Axelrod, 2003
- Leon Uris, 2003
- 217 BC - Hannibal wins Battle at Lake Trasimene in Italy - the third major battle of the Second Punic War.
- 1675 - Foundation stone of St. Paul's Cathedral in London laid by Christopher Wren in 1675.
- 1756 - 23 surviving prisoners in Black Hole of Calcutta (out of 146) released.
- 1788 - New Hampshire admitted to Union; also U.S. Constitution comes into force.
- 1798 - Henry Cavendish reads his seminal paper on how to measure gravity to the Royal Society in London.
- 1824 - Fortune tellers and mediums in England are subject to three months hard labor for practicing fortune telling to deceive.
- 1834 - Mechanical Reaper patented by Cyrus H. McCormick.
- 1854 - Midshipman Charles Lucas throws live 24 lb shell overboard saving crew; wins first Victoria Cross.
- 1887 - Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee celebrated.
- 1932 - Jack Sharkey defeats Max Schnelling in 15 to become Heavyweight Boxing Champ.
- 1937 - Wimbledon tennis tournament first televised.
- 1942 - Tobruk falls to Germans as Rommel's men capture 30,000 allied troops. WWII
- 1948 - Britain's first computer 'the Baby' runs its first program at Manchester University. 16 feet long.
- 1948 - Columbia Records introduces long-playing record, the LP, at Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, N.Y.
- 1964 - Three civil rights activists become martyrs when killed by Klu Klux Klan in Philadelphia, Mississippi.
- 1972 - Hurricane Agnes kills 118, 330,000 homeless $3 billion damage in Eastern states.
- 1977 - John Mitchell becomes first U.S. Attorney General to go to jail (Watergate cover-up).
- 1989 - Original script of 'Citizen Kane' sold at a New York auction for a record $210,000.
- 1990 - Worst earthquake ever in Northern Iran; 7.7 quake levels villages, kills 40,000, injures 60,000.
- 2004 - World's first privately financed manned spaceflight - SpaceShipOne's pilot Mike Melvill goes 62 miles high.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Greek New Year's Day
- Traditional first day of summer
- Midnight Sun Festival in Alaska
- Summer Solstice (except Leap Years)
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...